Adam Jones Speaking out on Twitter.

Grt 2BA FL Gator

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

At 30 and 31 Grandson hit over 40 homers and drove in over 100 in each year.    He had a 900 OPS and a 800 OPS in those two years.   Jones hasn't have an 800 OPS since he was 27.   Unless Jones has a career year in 2018 he probably does not get 4/60 IMO.

I wouldnt say that too loudly, FA prices in MLB keeps rising every year, hard pressed to say, one team wont be willing to spend that kind of money.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I wouldnt say that too loudly, FA prices in MLB keeps rising every year, hard pressed to say, one team wont be willing to spend that kind of money.

A 33 year old outfielder with a 780 OPS probably does not get 4 /60. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hays  is a good looking outfielder.   No one else approaches Jones caliber.   Mullins does not hit lefties and has no arm. Stewart and Santander are plodding OF/DH type.   I think Mancini is decent in left.    But Hays is the only young guy that will be close to Jones ability in center or right.  Keeping Jones for 3/39 would not be a bad move if he has a good 2018 season.

I'd like to see the evidence that Stewart is "plodding".

From what I have seen he stole a pretty decent number of bases this year and the reports on his defense were very positive.

I sure hope you aren't just going by his stocky frame.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see the evidence that Stewart is "plodding".

From what I have seen he stole a pretty decent number of bases this year and the reports on his defense were very positive.

I sure hope you aren't just going by his stocky frame.

From Orioles.com on Stewart:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 45 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

50 is average.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 45 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

50 is average.

Thanks.

Was that from before this most recent season?

Because everything I have seen about his performance in 2017 stated he showed marked improvement in his defense.  (I'd check it myself but alas, no link was provided)

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

50 is average.

From Luke-OH:

Hit 50/50

Power 50/50

Run 50/45

Arm 45/45

Field 50/50

Basically a half-grade up across the board.

I think it would be a stretch to project that Stewart will ever be a better player than Jones is right now.    Certainly you’re not going to station him in CF (where Jones certainly can play if you need him to), nor does he have Jones’ arm or his power.   But I’d hope that Stewart could get on base at a much higher clip while still having adequate pop.     And he’s a lot cheaper, freeing up money for other things.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Luke-OH:

Hit 50/50

Power 50/50

Run 50/45

Arm 45/45

Field 50/50

Basically a half-grade up across the board.

I think it would be a stretch to project that Stewart will ever be a better player than Jones is right now.    Certainly you’re not going to station him in CF (where Jones certainly can play if you need him to), nor does he have Jones’ arm or his power.   But I’d hope that Stewart could get on base at a much higher clip while still having adequate pop.     And he’s a lot cheaper, freeing up money for other things.

I was just questioning the use of the term plodding to describe him.

I'll be happy if he puts up two wins a year.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

At 30 and 31 Grandson hit over 40 homers and drove in over 100 in each year.    He had a 900 OPS and a 800 OPS in those two years.   Jones hasn't have an 800 OPS since he was 27.   Unless Jones has a career year in 2018 he probably does not get 4/60 IMO.

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A 33 year old outfielder with a 780 OPS probably does not get 4 /60. 

I agree, probably not.    But remember, Granderson was not coming off a 40-HR season when he got his deal.   He was coming off a .721 OPS season in which he only hit 7 homers in 61 games.   And like Jones, he was heading into his age 33 season.   

OK, maybe Plodding is not the right term but LF/DH is and maybe not a full time player from Orioles.com evaluation.

Stewart has close to average speed and is a better athlete than his stocky build might suggest. He has good instincts as a runner and defender, though a below-average arm limits him to left field. 

After a discouraging start to his career, Stewart, thanks to his improvement at the plate, has a chance to develop into a reserve outfielder in the big leagues.

He is not going to run Jones out of center or right.

John Sickels on DJ Stewart

19) D.J. Stewart, OF, Grade C+: Age 23, first round pick in 2015 from Florida State; hit .254/.377/.399 with 10 homers, 26 steals, 78 walks, 104 strikeouts in 414 at-bats between Low-A and High-A; good batting eye and physically very strong but college success hasn’t fully translated to pro ball; didn’t struggle as much as he did in pro debut and hit well late in the year; too soon to give up on him but questions about his swing haven’t been resolved; can steal a base but defense not an asset; ETA 2019.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree, probably not.    But remember, Granderson was not coming off a 40-HR season when he got his deal.   He was coming off a .721 OPS season in which he only hit 7 homers in 61 games.   And like Jones, he was heading into his age 33 season.   

Teams will forgive one bad season if the player has a record on hitting 40 homers and 100 RBI with a 800-900 OPS.   Garnderson did not get the 4/60 for his bad year.  He got it for the ability to return his good years.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

John Sickels on DJ Stewart

19) D.J. Stewart, OF, Grade C+: Age 23, first round pick in 2015 from Florida State; hit .254/.377/.399 with 10 homers, 26 steals, 78 walks, 104 strikeouts in 414 at-bats between Low-A and High-A; good batting eye and physically very strong but college success hasn’t fully translated to pro ball; didn’t struggle as much as he did in pro debut and hit well late in the year; too soon to give up on him but questions about his swing haven’t been resolved; can steal a base but defense not an asset; ETA 2019.

Let’s see what he says this year.   His report on the Orioles prospects is due out soon.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see what he says this year.   His report on the Orioles prospects is due out soon.    

Baseball Prospectus:

The Good: Stewart has kept himself on the prospect map by hitting, and 2017 was no exception. He has an athletic swing and one of the better approaches in minor league baseball. While some of the power spike this year was likely due to the friendly confines in Bowie, he does have potentially average power as well.

The Bad: You’d like Stewart to hit more given the rest of the package. The swing is the only thing you can really describe as athletic here. He’s a below-average runner with a below average arm and the best you can hope for is a fringy left fielder with the glove. So he’ll need to keep hitting. He’s also a bit older than you might expect.

This was published today

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/37136/baltimore-orioles-top-10-prospects-2018-ryan-mountcastle-austin-hays-chance-sisco/

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Teams will forgive one bad season if the player has a record on hitting 40 homers and 100 RBI with a 800-900 OPS.   Garnderson did not get the 4/60 for his bad year.  He got it for the ability to return his good years.

The guy hit 40 homers twice in his long career.     I’m sure the Mets weren’t counting on him being as good at ages 33-36 as he was at 30-31.    He hit 102 homers in those four years and I’m sure that’s about what the Mets were hoping for.    Overall, everything considered, I’d say Curtis Granderson had a slightly better career up to the point of his Mets contract than Jones has had to date (35.4 rWAR for Granderson, 31.2 for Jones with a year to go).    But the market’s changed a bit, so it may be hard for Jones to get 4 years.   Let’s see how 2018 goes for him — hopefully, he has a great year.  

Archived