So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

backwardsk

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Would love to get a little friendly wager competition type thing going on how many Major League SP will the O's acquire between now and say February 1st.

Ubaldo Jimenez was signed on Feb 17th.

Gallardo was signed on Feb 20th.

I would like to put forth a Theory that the quality left over in mid-February is rather sub-par.  I was told we were looking to be more proactive this offseason.

Heck the majority of the available at the start of the off-season was rather sub-par.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good post.  I wish I had your patience.  It's frustrating to my inpatient self that a last place team with 3 holes in the rotation hasn't done a darn thing this offseason.  The next 7 weeks will tell all.

It’s extremely frustrating, especially given Duquette’s own statement that the team’s situation this year (3 open spots) required a more proactive approach than they’ve typically followed.    But it still makes sense to await what the team does rather than getting worked up over the current roster configuration.   

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wonder how DD will play this off at Fan Fest.

Ah, good call.  yea they probably have to do something by then.  I noticed it's in late January this year (the 27th), wonder if that was intentional.  OK i revise my deadline to 1/27.  :)

Over / under is at 1.5 SP.    go!

I'll take the under.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Ah, good call.  yea they probably have to do something by then.  I noticed it's in late January this year (the 27th), wonder if that was intentional.  OK i revise my deadline to 1/27.  :)

I'll take the under.

The 3 arms that DD already picked up, Mesa Jr, Cortes and I forgot his name, might count as 1.5 SP. LOL

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'll take the under.

A lot will happen between now and January 27.

One of my favorite Fanfest moments was in 2010 when Andy MacPhail was asked what the odds were that the Orioles would make any more significant moves before spring training.    Andy usually gave bland, uninformative answers, but this time he couldn’t conceal a grin and said, “about as close to 100% as is humanly possible.”    That got everybody buzzing, and later that day it was announced that the O’s were bringing back Miguel Tejada.    That didn’t turn out to be any great move — Miggy posted a .670 OPS and was worth -0.6 rWAR for us, before being traded to San Diego for Wynn Pelzer (who never made the majors) and playing much better for the Padres (.730 OPS, 1.2 rWAR) over the remainder of the season.     But it was still a cool moment at Fanfest.   

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Good post.  I wish I had your patience.  It's frustrating to my inpatient self that a last place team with 3 holes in the rotation hasn't done a darn thing this offseason.  The next 7 weeks will tell all.

Do you thing Buck and Dan even know they have a starting pitching problem? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

A lot will happen between now and January 27.

One of my favorite Fanfest moments was in 2010 when Andy MacPhail was asked what the odds were that the Orioles would make any more significant moves before spring training.    Andy usually gave bland, uninformative answers, but this time he couldn’t conceal a grin and said, “about as close to 100% as is humanly possible.”    That got everybody buzzing, and later that day it was announced that the O’s were bringing back Miguel Tejada.    That didn’t turn out to be any great move — Miggy posted a .670 OPS and was worth -0.6 rWAR for us, before being traded to San Diego for Wynn Pelzer (who never made the majors) and playing much better for the Padres (.730 OPS, 1.2 rWAR) over the remainder of the season.     But it was still a cool moment at Fanfest.   

I was at this FanFest.  Thanks for helping me jog my memory, that was indeed a cool day to be there.

I love the O's.  It tears me apart what the O's are doing to improve the club.  Look at the Bleacher report article I got today.

Offseason Moves

What exactly is the Baltimore Orioles plan?

Hold onto trade chips like Manny Machado, Zach Britton and Brad Brach, and then clean up the scraps of the starting pitching market in hopes of posting a winning record and avoiding a last-place finish in the AL East?

That doesn't sound great.

The O's had the worst starting pitching in baseball last season with a miserable 5.70 ERA and they've done absolutely nothing to address that situation to this point.

In fact, they've really done nothing of significance, period.

It looks like the window of contention for this current group has slammed shut and everyone realizes it except the front office.

Sell. Sell now. Starting building toward the future.

Throwing a couple band-aids on the starting rotation at the end of the offseason and hoping for the best is just a wasted year.

Grade: F

• Nov. 22: OF Jaycob Brugman acquired from OAK for RHP Jake Bray.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Jose Mesa selected in Rule 5 draft.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Michael Kelly signed in free agency (MLB deal).

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s extremely frustrating, especially given Duquette’s own statement that the team’s situation this year (3 open spots) required a more proactive approach than they’ve typically followed.    But it still makes sense to await what the team does rather than getting worked up over the current roster configuration.   

he says something every year that never comes true.

From 2015:

:

Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said Sunday on MLB Network Radio's "The Front Office" that the team would be active in the free-agent market for starting pitchers and outfielders.

"We would like to sign a top-of-the-rotation starter," said Duquette.

Hot Stove Tracker: Free agents and trades

"And by that, I mean a No. 1, 2 or 3 starter," Duquette told Jim Duquette and Jim Bowden. "So there's some in that group [of free agents]. I don't think there's that many No. 1 starters, but there's some twos and threes in there that we could be very competitive on."

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/dan-duquette-orioles-want-to-sign-top-pitcher/c-157353862

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

he says something every year that never comes true.

From 2015:

:

Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said Sunday on MLB Network Radio's "The Front Office" that the team would be active in the free-agent market for starting pitchers and outfielders.

"We would like to sign a top-of-the-rotation starter," said Duquette.

Hot Stove Tracker: Free agents and trades

"And by that, I mean a No. 1, 2 or 3 starter," Duquette told Jim Duquette and Jim Bowden. "So there's some in that group [of free agents]. I don't think there's that many No. 1 starters, but there's some twos and threes in there that we could be very competitive on."

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/dan-duquette-orioles-want-to-sign-top-pitcher/c-157353862

In Dan's defense maybe he thought Gallardo was going to be a three?  You know, despite all the red flags.  He did cost a draft pick, would a five cost a draft pick?

Archived