Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aglets said:

If you have a degenerative cartilage condition in your knee.........I respectfully disagree.

I’d think Sabathia would go where the money is, regardless of which league.    Batting isn’t going to put much stress on his knee compared to throwing 100 pitches every five days.  

So Roch changes his tune on the Orioles and Cobb. I guess the Orioles brass did not like the feedback on saying he would cost too much.

Cobb really seems to be within their range - as long as Ubaldo Jimenez’s failings don’t bleed into future negotiations.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/11/because-you-asked---the-secret-of-the-ooze.html

A little different then this. Also  two of Roch's other tweets about it are not on his twitter account anymore.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/cobb-figures-to-be-too-costly-for-orioles.html

I think Cobb ends up somewhere in the 4/$54-$60M range. And if I'm the Orioles, I do that. I really want Cobb as my top guy. You then fill in with Chatwood, Garcia...etc in the three or four spot and can fill in No. 5 with Castro or a Spring Invitee when you pick depth off the heap in late January.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be very helpful to Cobb to have a few teams bidding for his services before he signs with the Cubs.  Or, maybe the O's offer him substantially more than the Cubs and he signs with the O's. Or, maybe the O's are just performing their due diligence and checking in with every free agent starter. Or, maybe Morosi was out of news and needed something pretty safe to tweet.

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes, this is a pitcher we need to pursue. Whether he would actually sign with us is another story, but we need to go after these kinds of guys.

He'd sign with the Orioles if the Orioles offer the most money.  There is pressure on players from the player's union to not take below market salaries (not that everyone caves to that pressure, but in the end most sign for the most money).

I feel like the "wouldn't come here" is trotted out way too often by the MASN guys.  I get it for guys looking for the best situation to build value (O's are a good spot for hitters in that situation, but a bad spot for pitchers), but for Cobb, he's just going to sign where the money is.

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

What would it take to get him? Something like 4/75m?

Good question. Hard to say if you ask me. How many teams are willing to discount his injury history and his lower K rate last year? Cobb usually misses  time, and it seems like expecting anything more than 150-160 innings is a tad unrealistic.

5yr/$85/90m?

52 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

He'd sign with the Orioles if the Orioles offer the most money.  There is pressure on players from the player's union to not take below market salaries (not that everyone caves to that pressure, but in the end most sign for the most money).

I feel like the "wouldn't come here" is trotted out way too often by the MASN guys.  I get it for guys looking for the best situation to build value (O's are a good spot for hitters in that situation, but a bad spot for pitchers), but for Cobb, he's just going to sign where the money is.

It's always the most money. It really is. 

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I feel like the "wouldn't come here" is trotted out way too often by the MASN guys.  I get it for guys looking for the best situation to build value (O's are a good spot for hitters in that situation, but a bad spot for pitchers), but for Cobb, he's just going to sign where the money is.

I can’t say what any one player will do, but I agree the MASN guys play the sad sack too often on this.   It’s well known that Peter Angelos doesn’t believe in paying top dollar for big name pitchers.     It’s not a matter of the Orioles offering it and the pitchers turning them down.    The last big name pitcher I remember any kind of serious bid for was Carl Pavano in 2004 (seems laughable now, but he was a hot FA at the time).   Thankfully he chose the Yankees, and was awful for them.   

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

What would it take to get him? Something like 4/75m?

MLBTR predicts him to Minnesota for just 4 years/$48M. My eyes popped out at that price and length. Either MLBTR is massively missing this one or we think his price is way higher than the real market. 

11.  Alex Cobb – Twins.  Four years, $48MM.  Cobb, 30, came up through the Rays system and posted a stellar 3.21 ERA over his first 81 starts across four seasons.  The righty went down for Tommy John surgery in May 2015, returning to the Majors in September of the following year without much success.  The Cobb we saw in 2017 wasn’t quite at pre-surgery form, but he did stay healthy and posted a 3.66 ERA in a career-high 179 1/3 innings.  Cobb had a 3.07 ERA over his final 17 starts and exhibited the best control of his career.  He hasn’t been able to match his pre-surgery strikeout rate, so as with Lynn, there is concern that his ERA isn’t sustainable with the present skills.  Cobb should pair with Lynn to form the second tier of starting pitching, and their markets will likely have plenty of overlap.  A qualifying offer is a risk for the payroll-conscious Rays, but they’re reportedly leaning that way with Cobb, which seems like the right call to make.

Archived