What if the O's did not need starting pitching for Manny?

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think you're underestimating the hassle factor.  I know I, and friends/family I've talked to, go to a lot less sporting events (not just baseball) for that very reason.  

Is it significantly more hassle than it was 12 years ago?   I don’t think so.    Somewhat more hassle, but not hugely so.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think you're underestimating the hassle factor.  I know I, and friends/family I've talked to, go to a lot less sporting events (not just baseball) for that very reason.  

Baseball is easy. Especially at Camden Yards.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it significantly more hassle than it was 12 years ago?   I don’t think so.    Somewhat more hassle, but not hugely so.

No hassle at all a pleasure trip outside real life for the day. Pleasant folks all around. Great atmosphere and plenty of delicious food if you care to spend other discretionary dollars. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we’re preaching the same sermon.    Just because we’re no longer at the top of the attendance chart doesn’t mean we’re doomed to be at the bottom. But we probably will be in the lower half most of the time.    With revenue sharing, extra draft picks for smaller market teams and a TV deal that allows us to retain a decent chunk (more than half) of the combined DC/Baltimore TV revenue, we will survive.    But it may not always be pretty.

Maybe not the same scripture, but ultimately the same result. Maybe it lasts another ten years. Or Baltimore turns into Austin/Nashville/Ashville. Be interesting to see.

25 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe not the same scripture, but ultimately the same result. Maybe it lasts another ten years. Or Baltimore turns into Austin/Nashville/Ashville. Be interesting to see.

When PGA passes and MLB refuses to let his family take over or sell the team without an MASN resolution, things could become very interesting.

27 minutes ago, weams said:

No hassle at all a pleasure trip outside real life for the day. Pleasant folks all around. Great atmosphere and plenty of delicious food if you care to spend other discretionary dollars. 

Just a hassle to get there, depending on day of the week and where you’re coming from.    For me, on a weeknight I need to leave by 5, and the first hour and maybe a little more is consumed just trying to get out of downtown DC and past the DC Beltway.    By that time I’m a bundle of nerves.   I’m sure that’s worse now than it was in 2005.     But on the weekend, it’s not really much hassle at all.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ever.    You will never see the O’s draw 3.7 mm fans again.    Heck, the 2014 team couldn’t even draw 2.5 mm.     I think if you had the perfect storm, maybe the O’s could draw 3.0 mm.    To do that, you’d need several consecutive years of contention, a great pennant race, plus a terrible team in DC.

It’s pretty interesting that the Orioles/Nats combined have never matched their 2005 attendance from the first year the Nats were here (5.35 mm).    Since then, the high water mark was 5.04 mm in 2014.     

Ever is a long time.   In a few years the O's may have 4 first rounder and a 2nd rounder in the rotation.  It could be fun.  And when the O's win  and the fans expect them to win they drew better.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ever is a long time.   In a few years the O's may have 4 first rounder and a 2nd rounder in the rotation.  It could be fun.  And when the O's win  and the fans expect them to win they drew better.

But not well enough. 

Really, fan attendance during the good times has been sad.  Stupid comments like "They are not built for the long haul"  or "I'll never support Peter Angelos" or "They aren't good enough to win it all, they have just been lucky" are the excuses I've heard. 

Archived