What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you have any reason to think Davis isn’t putting in sufficient work?    Or are you just drawing inferences from the fact that Davis has a wife and kids?

If what Buck meant is, “you’re not working enough,” that’s obviously a perfectly good message if warranted.   

Nope. No information. And it's not just wife and children that he may have in his life. I know when he was young, he was always in the gym. Always. 

Hopefully this is the start of what I assume will be an excruciatingly slow process of freeing up Davis’ roster spot....specifically playing first base. The fact that we have hit the cold hard reality of rebuilding actually diminishes the likelihood that we just realease him. He can pinch hit, play backup at first, play spot outfield, pitch deep relief, be a veteran presence.

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Nope. No information. And it's not just wife and children that he may have in his life. I know when he was young, he was always in the gym. Always. 

I have always had a tin foil hat theory that Chris’ baseball decline began with the birth of his first daughter. Obviously lots of wildly successful players have families and are wonderful parents/husbands. But there are also lots of tradeoffs. Heck the Cal junior-senior relationship was warped by baseball. Maybe Chris has focused a lot of energy to his family, and that has contributed in some inscrutable....perhaps just infinitesimal way....to the baseball Chris we see now?

25 minutes ago, weams said:

You think his religion is what's sinking his time and making him a bad player? I don't think it has anything to do with his work ethic, I'm sure he does spend less time in the gym due to having a family, but I think most of his decline is simply due to aging.

Just now, amdcpus said:

You think his religion is what's sinking his time and making him a bad player? I don't think it has anything to do with his work ethic, I'm sure he does spend less time in the gym due to having a family, but I think most of his decline is simply due to aging.

If anything his commitment to Christ would be cause for him to strive to be his best.   It may be age, but it seems to be more than that.   He just looks lost at the plate.  And as long as he's been like this his confidence has to be shot.  

9 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

I'm surprised. He appeared thinner and his bat speed is obviously down. He does not swing with a confident approach as he did. Just a smaller, slower version of the guy I was sure would be good for three more seasons out of seven. 

Archived