What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

22 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think Chris Davis was productive in 2014.  I think WAR has a flaw if it sees that as productive.  It is better than this year but it was a terrible season nonetheless.

WAR saw his 2014 season as below average but above replacement level.  Which seems about right.

Quibbling over what constitutes productive is all you are doing.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a buyout is possibility.  He will still get most of his money, but there has to be a reduced # out there that he would prefer rather than to show up to the ballpark for the next five years in such an embarrassing situation.  Maybe some contract restructuring.  

They should also ask his permission to send him down to Bowie or Norfolk and if he declines, they should put that out in the press.  That seems a no-brainer. 

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I  believe he needs to be released, but that won't happen because of the 113 million owed. Short of that he needs to be sent down to see if he can find anything left in his swing...I agree with you that if he declines, the Orioles should make it apparent to the public and press that Davis refuses to try and improve by starting over..and the ostracism of that could dictate the buyout and release.

Well, Palmer did open that can up a bit with his comments about Davis and Coolbaugh a month ago...

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I think a buyout is possibility.  He will still get most of his money, but there has to be a reduced # out there that he would prefer rather than to show up to the ballpark for the next five years in such an embarrassing situation.  Maybe some contract restructuring.  

They should also ask his permission to send him down to Bowie or Norfolk and if he declines, they should put that out in the press.  That seems a no-brainer. 

This is the only way I see it happening.  If he walks away now, give him the rest of this years salary owed to him and let him get whatever he's supposed to get for the years 2022-2037 or whatever ridiculous year his contract goes to.

Start a conversation, start a negotiation.  Start a dialogue.

If Davis is on the OD roster for 2019 you will know that this franchise, no matter who the new GM and Manager are, is not going anywhere.

Archived