Any Benefits to False Information

Bahama O's Fan

If you are the GM of a MLB franchise and are working on a trade, would it be beneficial to leak some false info to reporters? Would it help gauge the market? Would you be able to see a response? Just thinking of the rumored offer for Machado. Would it be any benefit to leak that if it was not true?

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Lying is a preferred business tool, with a long history of success. It's always an effective credibility-builder so it works great in personal relationships as well. Highly recommended.

o

That reminds me of people who start sentences with"To be honest with you ......."

They are implying that they are lying to you the majority of the time when speaking to you, but just this once they are going to straighten up and tell you the truth.

o

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Leaking intentionally false reports is commonplace in sports. Sometimes when I read rumors, I assume/expect the opposite will be reported within the week.

Agents also leak false information to get better contract offers for players they represent.  I don't know how Chris Davis gets a 7 year contract otherwise.  

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I understand the benefits of agents doing it. Would it be beneficial for GM's to do it?

Sure why wouldn't it be beneficial.  You don't even have to leak it you could tell team A this is what team B offered can you beat it.  

Lets assume the Cardinals were really in on Manny, but they weren't offering that last piece to get it done. So as the O's GM you leak that the Cubs have a great offer on the table that is slightly better then what you actually know is out there from the Cards. You hope basically the Cards blink and pull the trigger to get the player they want, and block their divisional opponent from getting better. How could lying about things NOT work unless you leak things that are so unrealistic that everyone folds at the table. If that's the case then you shouldn't be playing the game anyways. Now I'm thinking the O's aren't good at this and shouldn't be at the card table bluffing with a 2 and a 7 on royal flush draw....

20 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If you are the GM of a MLB franchise and are working on a trade, would it be beneficial to leak some false info to reporters? Would it help gauge the market? Would you be able to see a response? Just thinking of the rumored offer for Machado. Would it be any benefit to leak that if it was not true?

Why do it? No benefit from false info. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• If they were going to get rid of Fuller they should have done it a month and a half ago. The issues with our hitting were apparent the whole second half of the season. Maybe a firing or two would have sent a message to the players prior to their postseason fizzle. . 
    • What does Eflin and Jimenez signify? It was a very small addition to the payroll. John Angelos would have approved that, if he needed to approve anything at all.
    • I'm not sure that's quite it.  Well, more importantly, I'm not sure that's quite it for me. I absolutely want to win more in the playoffs.  At this point there's no question that for me I'd live through some lousy seasons if it guaranteed a World Series trophy.  I'd give up a lot for that. But unfortunately it's the weird paradox, especially in baseball, where the games that mean so much in terms of perception actually mean very little.   Just look at some the threads posted on this board in recent weeks. "Do the Orioles need more experience"?  (studies have shown this is not the case) "Maybe they need a certain type of hitter/approach!" (no, studies have shown that's not it either) "They must need to build their bullpen a certain way." (nope) "Well you have to be playing well in September to have a chance in October!"  (very much not true) "It must be those nice white boys need somebody to be a jerk" (OK, no real way to quantify that one :)) The Astros must have the secret sauce, they went to the ALCS a lot of times in a row!  Oh, they lost in the 1st round this year. Study after study after study shows that there is no pattern.  There is no "right" way to do it.  There's no way to predict from year to year which teams will or will not go on the run. If for that crazy 8-9th inning on the day after the season the Mets may not have even made the playoffs.  Now they're the example of guys that can "get it done". It's not an excuse, and frankly it's not really my opinion.  It's reality. I do 100% agree with your last 2 sentences.  I don't know what we've done to so displease the baseball gods.
    • It's definitely a possibility, but I wonder if there is actually something going on between Hyde and some players, would it be smart to bring his potential replacement in and subject him to the problem?    The fans, mostly here are the main source of BB being a manager. He's definitely had some MiL success so it's not unreasonable to assume he will be a manager someday. 
    • I think this is spot on in every way.  But I think the fanbase is somewhat divided on how important playoff success is. Put another way, for you, me, and a lot of folks, the playoffs mean a ton.  41 years with no championship or even a pennant is a real long time, and the narrative of the Orioles since 1983 has gotten extremely old. Even the narrative of this winless recent edition of the Os has gotten old. For other fans, the regular season means much more and winning/losing in the playoffs doesn't carry much weight because of the nature of the tournament.   There is no right or wrong way to be a fan of a team. But I can say that if you told me the next 10 years would involve 9 seasons where we lose 90+ games and 1 season where we win the World Series, I will gladly sign up for that.  I am definitely at that point where that title means everything to me and yes 29 teams go home without the ring each year, but 1 team does get it and that needs to be us. And if we get "lucky" like the Tigers on the path there, then bring it on! If the playoffs are a crapshoot, I am tired of that crapshoot rewarding everyone else.
    • More than once Fredi displayed a lack of control that cost him his job. 
  • Popular Contributors