If Manny stays he should play 3B.

wildcard

What is the benefit to the O's in 2018 for Manny to play SS.?   I don't see one.   The O's do not have a replacement 3B.   Beckham'a best position is SS.   So just because Manny has expressed a desire to play SS should the O's weaken the team to accommodate Manny?  Doesn't sound right.

Manny has 300 million reasons to have a good 2018.   He needs no more incentive.

Manny is not going out of his way to accommodate the O's.   He is not giving a home town discount on a long term agreement.   I  am not saying he should.   He worked to get to be in a position to test the market and if that is what he wants he should do that.   But that does not benefit the O's.  So why should the   O's  handicap the team to benefit Manny's desires to play  SS in his last year with the O's?

I think the O's should do what is best for the team.  And if that means Manny plays 3B.  That is what he should do.  If that means trading Manny,  that is what the O's should do.  If the offers are not good enough  and the best benefit to the O's is for Manny to stay, that i what the O's should do.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is the benefit to the O's in 2018 for Manny to play SS.?   I don't see one.   The O's do not have a replacement 3B.   Beckham'a best position is SS.   So just because Manny has expressed a desire to play SS should the O's weaken the team to accommodate Manny?  Doesn't sound right.

Manny has 300 million reasons to have a good 2018.   He needs no more incentive.

Manny is not going out of his way to accommodate the O's.   He is not giving a home town discount on a long term agreement.   I  am not saying he should.   He worked to get to be in a position to test the market and if that is what he wants he should do that.   But that does not benefit the O's.  So why should the   O's  handicap the team to benefit Manny's desires to play  SS in his last year with the O's?

I think the O's should do what is best for the team.  And if that means Manny plays 3B.  That is what he should do.  If that means trading Manny,  that is what the O's should do.  If the offers are not good enough  and the best benefit to the O's is for Manny to stay, that i what the O's should do.

I agree. 

32 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Bench him and lower his value. :)

He has done well to put his league-wide bad boy image behind him. It would be best for him to do what his team asks. For the four generations of Machados that he is about to fund.

Make him play a new position that he has never played before at any level...like Trey did.  

No, seriously.  I agree with the OP.  Manny has no leverage now about a move to short as he has apparently decided to leave the team. There is no good answer today  to the hole created by moving Manny to short.

11 minutes ago, weams said:

He has done well to put his league-wide bad boy image behind him. It would be best for him to do what his team asks. For the four generations of Machados that he is about to fund.

Only four?    He must be planing on a lot of great-great grandkids.

There’s only one reason to move Manny, and that’s if they decide he’s a much better defensive SS than Beckham, so much so that it outweighs what they’re going to lose at 3B.    And considering that Manny’s a short timer, the advantage would need to be super clear to justify disrupting Beckham, who’s going to be here for 3 years, not 1.    

Meanwhile, here’s what Bobby Dickerson had to say about working with Beckham:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/dickerson-on-making-beckham-better-and-getting-his-degree.html

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s only one reason to move Manny, and that’s if they decide he’s a much better defensive SS than Beckham, so much so that it outweighs what they’re going to lose at 3B.    And considering that Manny’s a short timer, the advantage would need to be super clear to justify disrupting Beckham, who’s going to be here for 3 years, not 1.    

Meanwhile, here’s what Bobby Dickerson had to say about working with Beckham:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/dickerson-on-making-beckham-better-and-getting-his-degree.html

Only one reason unless they promised at some point to move him back to SS. Then it would be a matter of keeping their word.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Only one reason unless they promised at some point to move him back to SS. Then it would be a matter of keeping their word.

I hope they never made a promise like that.    I can’t think of a good reason to do it except as part of a long term deal.  

Archived