Decision Checklist for the Orioles

interloper

It's January 2, 2018 and the Orioles have perhaps the most decisions to make of any team in baseball this offseason. They've made zero decisions at last count other than drafting Rule 5 players. Let's keep a running checklist, shall we?

-Dan Duquette's contract status after 2018

-Buck Showalter's contract status after 2018 

-Adam Jones: trade, extend, or ride out the contract? 

-Zach Britton: trade, release, or extend?

-Manny Machado: trade, extend, or ride out the contract?

-Jonathan Schoop: trade or extend?

-Rotation hole #3

-Rotation hole #4

-Rotation hole #5

-6th depth rotation piece other than Nestor Cortes

-Left-handed bat

-Trumbo: How does he fit on the roster?

-Bullpen depth piece

None of these things have been officially decided or announced as of 2:00 pm on 1/2/18. I'm not saying they need to announce or accomplish all of these. For example, we may never get an official announcement if Dan is planning to leave after 2018, but nevertheless, it's a potential decision that we as fans currently know nothing about officially. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's January 2, 2018 and the Orioles have perhaps the most decisions to make of any team in baseball this offseason. They've made zero decisions at last count other than drafting Rule 5 players. Let's keep a running checklist, shall we?

-Dan Duquette's contract status after 2018

-Buck Showalter's contract status after 2018 

-Adam Jones: trade, extend, or ride out the contract? 

-Zach Britton: trade, release, or extend?

-Manny Machado: trade, extend, or ride out the contract?

-Jonathan Schoop: trade or extend?

-Rotation hole #3

-Rotation hole #4

-Rotation hole #5

-6th depth rotation piece other than Nestor Cortes

-Left-handed bat

-Trumbo: How does he fit on the roster?

-Bullpen depth piece

None of these things have been officially decided or announced as of 2:00 pm on 1/2/18. I'm not saying they need to announce or accomplish all of these. For example, we may never get an official announcement if Dan is planning to leave after 2018, but nevertheless, it's a potential decision that we as fans currently know nothing about officially. 

No rush, though.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

No rush, though.

The popular excuse is that the offseaosn is moving slowly and while that is true, I don't think any team publicly telling their fans they plan to "contend" in 2018 has this many pending critical decisions. We're talking question marks from the GM down to the star players to the lowly 5th rotation spot.

To me it's two lists.  1.  Fill the roster needs externally.  2. Internally make improvements  (trades, extensions, etc).

The former has been done with late off season signings in the recent past.  The former has been completely disregarded (and is perhaps more important).

If we don't see any activity in the near future (the next week) I think what is not being said is there is some level of internal power struggle (Dan and Buck, Brady and Dan).  If someone was in charge you would be seeing action.

5 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles would be smart to improve their team before Fanfest otherwise how can they expect their fans to get excited about coming. I hope the Orioles next GM moves alot faster than Dan does. It is time to shit or get off the pot Dan.

OPACY record low attendance : 1,733,019 in 2010

Should be threatened in 2018 with double whammy of bad/boring team and a city that doesn't provide for basic public safety.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You want to add a fourth catcher?

I'm only going on what they've stated, and Dan has stated they'd like to add another catcher. I realize we have Joseph, Sisco, and Wynns. I think a veteran addition to Norfolk is probably a smart move.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm only going on what they've stated, and Dan has stated they'd like to add another catcher. I realize we have Joseph, Sisco, and Wynns. I think a veteran addition to Norfolk is probably a smart move.

Sure, as long as they don't take up a spot on the 40.

9 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I wonder what DD and company do on a day to day basis right now.. do they discuss any of this stuff.

Dan works on his resume, and checks the status of his 401k.

In all seriousness, of course they discuss all the player and roster related stuff.    But what they’re actually doing about it, who knows?

13 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

To me it's two lists.  1.  Fill the roster needs externally.  2. Internally make improvements  (trades, extensions, etc).

The former has been done with late off season signings in the recent past.  The former has been completely disregarded (and is perhaps more important).

If we don't see any activity in the near future (the next week) I think what is not being said is there is some level of internal power struggle (Dan and Buck, Brady and Dan).  If someone was in charge you would be seeing action.

Filling the roster needs externally, has been done poorly.

Archived