Buy-low fourth starter candidates I like better than Cashner

Frobby

17 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

The Baltimore baseball media is afraid of Angelos or the Orioles for some reason.   Say what you want about Mike Preston, but he does call the Ravens out when he sees fit.   It's a shame we don't have that type of baseball columnist.

The baseball media here is either all sunshine and rainbows (Roch, melewski) or that spiteful little bastard at WNST who practically wants camden yards bombed by the luftwaffe; who will get on the O's for every mistake, but not call out the Ravens. Dude gets mad at people for "not doing their real jobs as reporters when it comes the the O's" and "playing into Angelos' evil, egotistical hands" but then turns out and polishes Buschotti's shoes with his tongue and tonsils. He sounds like a bitter ex wife who got screwed out of house and home in a divorce when the O's come up, and yet will praise our almighty saviors Buschotti, Ray Lewis, John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome. 

It's odd that there is no in between unless it's more so online on fan sites. There's not so much balance there as their is more so whatever flavor of the fans' collective mood is towards things. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mlbtraderumors writer, Jason Martinez, on the possibility of the Os signing Cashner. Seemed like this belonged here:

Cashner is the best available after the guys who will get 3--5 year deals (Darvish, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb). And he does a good job of keeping the ball in the park so probably a good fit there. It's risky, regardless, but the O's are in really bad shape. They need someone to give them some quality innings. It's currently Bundy, Gausman and a bunch of guys who wouldn't even be in the conversation for an MLB rotation job on most teams.

34 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Mlbtraderumors writer, Jason Martinez, on the possibility of the Os signing Cashner. Seemed like this belonged here:

Cashner is the best available after the guys who will get 3--5 year deals (Darvish, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb). And he does a good job of keeping the ball in the park so probably a good fit there. It's risky, regardless, but the O's are in really bad shape. They need someone to give them some quality innings. It's currently Bundy, Gausman and a bunch of guys who wouldn't even be in the conversation for an MLB rotation job on most teams.

captain-obvious.jpg

On 1/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Frobby said:

Let me preface this post by saying we need to go get a strong third starter, like Cobb.   Assuming we do that, I still don’t like Cashner for the fourth spot.   I’d rather have Miggy Gonzalez, and if not him, maybe:

1.  Matt Garza — 6-9, 4.94 ERA in 114.2 IP last year.   Had a couple of DL stints but had a pretty decent season going through 16 starts (3.68 ERA) but pitched poorly in August and got pulled from the rotation in September.

2.    Scott Feldman — 7-7, 4.77 ERA in 111.1 IP last year.   Had a good season going through July 5 (3.94 ERA) but got hurt in his next start, missed a month, then was shut down after two more starts.   The problem was a knee injury, that so far as I know didn’t require surgery, just rest and rehab.

I don't know you but you have always been respectful and professional. Happy New Year to you.

I remember saying last year that Jimenz and specifically Wade Miley were garbage and our season was destined for ruined. You said you thought Wade Miley would have a bounce back year and be a good piece. We disagreed. We disagree on a lot of things, but respectfully.

Feldman is not an answer. Gonzo was...but DD didn't sign him. Even with a blockbuster deal..he could have been dealt at ST, makes no sense. I think DD has mailed it in and is ready for greener pastures IMO.

Garza is a good target IMO. May not work, but good educated shot.

Dickey is the guy to me (with Gonzo) that were no brainers. DIckey has history with Buck and saves your bullpen so you don't need to play roster roulette every day.

Regardless, without the Orioles trading Manny and the injury to Britton-we need to be looking at the future (as almost everyone knows).

I like Angelos' politics but the way he runs this organization has again and again, hurt this team. It's down right maddening.

Happy New Year to you Frobby.

45 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I don't know you but you have always been respectful and professional. Happy New Year to you.

I remember saying last year that Jimenz and specifically Wade Miley were garbage and our season was destined for ruined. You said you thought Wade Miley would have a bounce back year and be a good piece. We disagreed. We disagree on a lot of things, but respectfully.

Feldman is not an answer. Gonzo was...but DD didn't sign him. Even with a blockbuster deal..he could have been dealt at ST, makes no sense. I think DD has mailed it in and is ready for greener pastures IMO.

Garza is a good target IMO. May not work, but good educated shot.

Dickey is the guy to me (with Gonzo) that were no brainers. DIckey has history with Buck and saves your bullpen so you don't need to play roster roulette every day.

Regardless, without the Orioles trading Manny and the injury to Britton-we need to be looking at the future (as almost everyone knows).

I like Angelos' politics but the way he runs this organization has again and again, hurt this team. It's down right maddening.

Happy New Year to you Frobby.

Do you currently think Garza is a good target?

On 1/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Yardball85 said:

The media is literally resorting to articles eliciting LOL responses.  Heaven forbid they actually suggest the Orioles sign a legitimate starting pitcher.

What media are we talking about? Roch is an Oriole PR guy. Let me know if he has ever disagreed with anything the Orioles have done? The Sun was a little more objective but Angelos threatened to pull advertising when Rosenthal and Maske were here. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

What media are we talking about? Roch is an Oriole PR guy. Let me know if he has ever disagreed with anything the Orioles have done? The Sun was a little more objective but Angelos threatened to pull advertising when Rosenthal and Maske were here. 

The Sun has never been a world class media outlet ever.

The Sun is a little better then the MASN stuff.

The Orioles begin 2018 with a threadbare starting rotation and now just six weeks to fill it, and find a market that has only changed in ways that disadvantage them.

Since free agency opened in November, there's been scant movement on the pitching market except for some smart, targeted signings the Orioles themselves could’ve benefited from.

Instead, other teams outbid them and they're left looking at a market with a big gulf in quality between the top few arms and everyone else.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-free-agent-pitching-20180102-story.html

Archived