Baseball Prospectus: Lo Cain

weams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, InsideCoroner said:

It is, sure... but isn’t that literally all we have to go on this off-season? ;)

Not really, every off-season, we go through this period, whom should the team trade for, sign, etc. Everybody has opinions about how to improve the team, we do this until ST, and then we can talk actual baseball. :)

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Cain, Cobb, Darvish and Arietta are most likely going to be signed on one year deals. Book it

If they have the "stomach" for it, this would be the way for them to go. I think the market is mostly suppressed this season because of NY, LA Dodgers, and some other big players Are working to reset their cap. Next season will be quite a different story. Add in Manny and Harper, with potentially Kershaw, it will be a free agents delight.

Cain's a helluva player, but now (at 31/32) is not the time to give him a long term contract.  You know his range is already decreasing.  Within a couple of years, we'll have Mullins at least platooning with someone else in CF, and that combo will be providing the same overall production at a much lower cost.  And he might not even be platooning if they have him give up switch-hitting.  

Yes. Cain is one heck of a player, but this team needs to hit on the Cedrick Mullins of the organization not sink money into an aging player, albeit a very good one like Cain. I just cannot understand how this team doesn't see that its time to rebuild.

12 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wishful thinking. 

Cain goes to San Fran, Arrietta goes to the Brewers, Cobb goes to the Cubs, and Darvish goes to the Yankees. 

I like those guesses.  I'd be inclined to say Arrieta to the Phils.

Passan says that “one of the best free agents” feels the offers he has received are “so incompatible with his production” that he might wait until mid-season to sign. Without more information — who? how much? what would he deem fair and is that supportable? — that example really can’t even be assessed. An assistant GM tells Passan he’d rather pay Lorenzo Cain at a big rate ($24MM) for one season than promise him a longer-term deal. That’s an interesting and somewhat curious position, as Cain projects as a quality asset for a few years into the future, though it’s tough to assess without knowing the full context. More to the point, that view from one executive on one team hardly establishes the absence of a reasonable market for Cain.

MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/lorenzo-cain-rumors-four-year-offers.html

I'd rather have Cain than Jarrod Dyson.  It's been 3 years, but Cain just killed us in the ALCS...dude got to and caught EVERYTHING.  If they could get him on a 4 year deal for reasonable AAV, I'd do it and move Jones to RF.  Leave Mancini in LF and Trumbo at DH.  Get two pitchers worth a damn and we might just be able to compete with Boston and NY.

Just now, esmd said:

I'd rather have Cain than Jarrod Dyson.  It's been 3 years, but Cain just killed us in the ALCS...dude got to and caught EVERYTHING.  If they could get him on a 4 year deal for reasonable AAV, I'd do it and move Jones to RF.  Leave Mancini in LF and Trumbo at DH.  Get two pitchers worth a damn and we might just be able to compete with Boston and NY.

What do we do with Hays, Mullins, Santander and Stewart? I'd rather have the latter 3 on a cheap deal then Cain. We need to just spend on SP

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

What do we do with Hays, Mullins, Santander and Stewart? I'd rather have the latter 3 on a cheap deal then Cain. We need to just spend on SP

Cain is an everyday player...Dyson is not. You get what you pay for. That said, our money needs to be spent on pitching (unless we trade Machado). Cain isn't a luxury I think we can afford. 

It's also being reported that Cain has multiple offers on the table so I doubt he settles for a one year deal. My guess is he'll get 4 years from someone. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Cain is an everyday player...Dyson is not. You get what you pay for. That said, our money needs to be spent on pitching (unless we trade Machado). Cain isn't a luxury I think we can afford. 

It's also being reported that Cain has multiple offers on the table so I doubt he settles for a one year deal. My guess is he'll get 4 years from someone. 

Apparently he has a few 4 year deals according to MLB trade rumors

27 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Apparently he has a few 4 year deals according to MLB trade rumors

Yep. I know the market is slow, but at the end of the day I don't see any of the "good" players having to settle for one year deals. It's a pipe dream. These players aren't going to fall into the Oriole's lap / range. They'll end up panicking and giving more years than they should to guys like Vargas and Cashner (i.e., Gallardo / Miley 2.0).

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Jones is gone after this year. If two of those guys can play everyday, move Mancini to DH next year and trade Trumbo.

Archived