Are There Three Internal SP Candidates

Eddie_Ripken

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Has there been any speculation as to which ML pitchers might be hurt by an [actually-enforced] pitch clock?

Don't know, but it has seemed to me for some time that the Boston Red Sox - both pitchers and hitters - are notoriously slow.  They seem to act as if they are paid by the hour.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not anti-Wells, I like Wells. Someone was suggesting he might be a MLB starter candidate in 2018, which I was trying to throw cold water on. 

He made a legit improvement to his fastball command/strategy that allowed him to go after hitters more and avoid HR about halfway through the season. Maybe I should have said it took him half a season to dominate low A hitters. I saw some of the home runs he gave up, they weren’t fluky, the fastball just doesn’t play on the plate vs RHB.

Me too. Not even in the crowd at this point. 

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Has there been any speculation as to which ML pitchers might be hurt by an [actually-enforced] pitch clock?

Not that I’ve heard, but there are stats out there about the pace at which pitchers work.   Darren O’Day is among the slowest in the game (592nd out of 601), at 25.96 seconds per pitch.    http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=2480882

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not that I’ve heard, but there are stats out there about the pace at which pitchers work.   Darren O’Day is among the slowest in the game (592nd out of 601), at 25.96 seconds per pitch.    http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=2480882

Funny, I don't notice that while he's pitching.  I certainly noticed with Steve Trachsel.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:17 AM, Luke-OH said:

I think it's just short of 70 innings. 

He also hasn't even seen A+ ball. He needs time, probably two more seasons since his game is reliant on being a step ahead of hitters, and I guarantee that at his age and experience he would not be ahead of MLB hitters right now.  It took half the season for him to figure out Low A hitters (he gave up a bunch of HRs in the first half).

I was grasping at straws.  I wish the O's would sign an actual major league starting pitcher.  Following the O's in the offseason is like looking through a pile of manure for a pony.  I don't see how any rational person (DD seems rational) thinks that a "contending" team can rely on internal candidates for 3 starting pitchers, especially since the O's don't have the most impressive pitching prospects. 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was grasping at straws.  I wish the O's would sign an actual major league starting pitcher.  Following the O's in the offseason is like looking through a pile of manure for a pony.  I don't see how any rational person (DD seems rational) thinks that a "contending" team can rely on internal candidates for 3 starting pitchers, especially since the O's don't have the most impressive pitching prospects. 

I read that Dickey is retiring, so there goes that. 

Archived