Luke's Top 50 Orioles Prospects!

weams

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is good stuff, thanks @Luke-OH

At the end I think it'd be cool if you could pick a few of these guys you think who could make big jumps into the top 10 this year.  

Glad you like it!

I wrote a little about a few guys I thought could jump a while back on the minor league board, but I may flesh it out into an article at some point.

• Luke-OH changed the title to Luke's Top 50 Orioles Prospects!
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is higher than I expected to see Ring, and I didn’t know his defense was that good — glad to hear it.    

I didn't know it was that good either, I wasn't high on Ring, I hate the Ks as an old for level guy.  He's awesome in RF, I saw him by accident will watching Delmarva pitchers.  McKenna was the worst of the 3 Shorebirds OFs(Billingsley, McKenna, and Ring).  Ring while not a true burner, has excellent athleticism, routes, body control, and throwing arm.  I'd be comfortable saying that he'd be at least an above average CF.   

He has a really poor hit tool though and at his age, it's probably not improving.  The swing is stiff and has length, he extends his arms so early and he also doesn't track pitches well or recognize spin. It's kind of like Mark Trumbo with less bat speed or ability to pull his hands in. He does generate impressive power and backspin.  He can hit no-doubters out to CF when he connects.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I didn't know it was that good either, I wasn't high on Ring, I hate the Ks as an old for level guy.  He's awesome in RF, I saw him by accident will watching Delmarva pitchers.  McKenna was the worst of the 3 Shorebirds OFs(Billingsley, McKenna, and Ring).  Ring while not a true burner, has excellent athleticism, routes, body control, and throwing arm.  I'd be comfortable saying that he'd be at least an above average CF.   

He has a really poor hit tool though and at his age, it's probably not improving.  The swing is stiff and has length, he extends his arms so early and he also doesn't track pitches well or recognize spin. It's kind of like Mark Trumbo with less bat speed or ability to pull his hands in. He does generate impressive power and backspin.  He can hit no-doubters out to CF when he connects.

Of the various tools, which ones are susceptible to improvement?    It seems to me the hit tool is the one that’s most possible to change through coaching and practice.    But that’s not to say that it’s easy, or a common occurrence.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of the various tools, which ones are susceptible to improvement?    It seems to me the hit tool is the one that’s most possible to change through coaching and practice.    But that’s not to say that it’s easy, or a common occurrence.  

It's usually the tool that improves the most for a young hitter.  For example, most HS draftees have a current 20 hit grade, but they improve as they add strength to their swing, add bat speed, learn pitch recognition and get an idea of their strike zone.

Ring however, was a 22-23 year old in low A, he's already seen pretty decent pitching in the SEC.  He killed it the first half of the season, but even the league's younger pitchers they figured him out in the second half.  It's hard for me to project much growth there.  It's not like he does weird stuff with his hands that could easily be smoothed out.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Awesome stuff.   This particular 21-30 group is fascinating.    Lots of guys here who could be top 10 next year (except Cortes and Ynoa, who’ll either be on our major league roster or in another organization).     Crossing my fingers that we’ll get a good hit rate from these guys.    

It’s really interesting. I think Dietz has been prematurely written off by a lot of people. He was known be be a raw developmental project when drafted and he’s improved significantly. The results aren’t there yet, but it’s not like he’s old for his level and he touches 97 with movement as a starter.

Peluffo is similar, he will likely start  2018 as a 20 year old pitcher in Frederick. Still needs to build innings, repeat his delivery better, and sharpen his secondaries, but if you watch him, it’s obvious that he doesn’t have his adult body yet. The fact his control is already average-ish (especially with his delivery) is impressive. His FB could sit at 95+ at maturity.

Those two are both risky obviously, but there is legit talent there.

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s really interesting. I think Dietz has been prematurely written off by a lot of people. He was known be be a raw developmental project when drafted and he’s improved significantly. The results aren’t there yet, but it’s not like he’s old for his level and he touches 97 with movement as a starter.

Peluffo is similar, he will likely start  2018 as a 20 year old pitcher in Frederick. Still needs to build innings, repeat his delivery better, and sharpen his secondaries, but if you watch him, it’s obvious that he doesn’t have his adult body yet. The fact his control is already average-ish (especially with his delivery) is impressive. His FB could sit at 95+ at maturity.

Those two are both risky obviously, but there is legit talent there.

The command issues are not what bothers me so much.  It's the lack of swing and miss and the fact that he gets hit around despite the plus fastball at such a low level.  

It seems like he has a lot to overcome and his future could be in the pen, if that fastball gets up into the upper 90's like you suspect. 

Archived