Could DD be planning on 2 Arms?

pastorfan

Could DD simply be waiting for the asking prices to become reasonable and then strike to land two guys like a Cobb & Lynn? Next year there are some great position players who will be Free Agents, but not pitching. With teams trying to limit spending this year why not splurge for two such pitchers and then you could trade them after this year if you need to. The idea being that those teams willing to spend next year will not find much pitching on the market. Could this plan work?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles do not want to sign any free agent pitchers to any deals longer than 3 years.  These 2 guys are simply going to be too expensive and demand too many years.

I wish it wasn't so, but the fact that we just got out from under Ubaldo's abysmal 4 year deal is probably not going to help persuade them to rethink their policy.

Roch indicated that some of the available pitching is not healthy. Other's we can all agree is out of the rebuilding Orioles price range. Betting on signing a long-term deal with a pitcher and then selling them if not in the running is a bet that only a team with unlimited resources might have the stomach for. If you get stuck with a bum contract or an injured pitcher you get to run Ubaldo out there for four seasons. And he was a cheap signing. 

There’s a lot of teams still in the market for starting pitching. I don’t see any scenario where we suddenly land Cobb and Lynn.

At this point I’m just hoping we can somehow trade for some legit starting pitching. I still really like Patrick Corbin from the D Backs...

I think he is still trying to thread the needle between blowing the team up and going for it in 2018. He has not made a single move this offseason that would commit to one way or the other. I have no idea what he is thinking but he had said earlier that the plan was to sign two pitchers.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he is still trying to thread the needle between blowing the team up and going for it in 2018. He has not made a single move this offseason that would commit to one way or the other. I have no idea what he is thinking but he had said earlier that the plan was to sign two pitchers.

I do not believe DD has given 1 thought to blowing up the team, thats a pipe dream that OH posters wanted him to do.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I do not believe DD has given 1 thought to blowing up the team, thats a pipe dream that OH posters wanted him to do.

Sadly, I agree.  That being said, maybe I am disillusioned, but I think if you trade Manny for some young talent, extent Schoop, and maybe trade Jones and Zach during the season, the team doesn't ned to be blown up but can be competitive in 2019-20.

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some OH posters...

I don't think that DD ever thinks in terms of "blowing up" the team either, I hope to hell he has more imagination than that.  I do think he'd settle for a lateral move for 2018 if he could set the team up for another several years of relevance.  Direction completely hinges on whether or not he can get an acceptable return for Manny before the season begins IMO.

Just now, 24fps said:

Some OH posters...

I don't think that DD ever thinks in terms of "blowing up" the team either, I hope to hell he has more imagination than that.  I do think he'd settle for a lateral move for 2018 if he could set the team up for another several years of relevance.  Direction completely hinges on whether or not he can get an acceptable return for Manny before the season begins IMO.

It was 3 or 4 years ago, on MASN radio and he was being interviewed. DD said he knew some fans love to blow things up and rebuild. He said he likes to retool, he claimed sometimes you dont have to blow things up, just tweak things here and there and get better results.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Roch indicated that some of the available pitching is not healthy. Other's we can all agree is out of the rebuilding Orioles price range. Betting on signing a long-term deal with a pitcher and then selling them if not in the running is a bet that only a team with unlimited resources might have the stomach for. If you get stuck with a bum contract or an injured pitcher you get to run Ubaldo out there for four seasons. And he was a cheap signing. 

I did not know they were rebuilding? 

1 hour ago, weams said:

As long as they have Machado, I don't think this organization thinks it's rebuilding. I think they are retooling and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle for starting pitching. I don't have a lot of confidence it's going to work, but I guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

As long as they have Machado, I don't think this organization thinks it's rebuilding. I think they are retooling and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle for starting pitching. I don't have a lot of confidence it's going to work, but I guess we'll see.

If we somehow find a new Wei-Yin Chen and Miguel Gonzalez, then we can compete. Otherwise, I don't see any way possible to compete without signing legit starting free agent pitching at market value.

And there are so many reasons that we won't sign legit free agent pitchers it's depressing (3yr max contract length, Orioles physical, small ballpark, etc.)

Archived