Could DD be planning on 2 Arms?

pastorfan

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As long as they have Machado, I don't think this organization thinks it's rebuilding. I think they are retooling and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle for starting pitching. I don't have a lot of confidence it's going to work, but I guess we'll see.

The funny thing is, trading Machado could absolutely make them more competitive THIS YEAR. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

I live in AZ and see Corbin pitch.  Do not believe he would hold up in AL East.

Why not?

Chase Field rates as more of a hitter's park than OPACY, yet Corbin's home splits were excellent in 2017.  There really aren't many better targets out there for the Orioles.  Only question to me is what we'd have to give up.  I'm not sure that there's an affordable fit trade-wise, but I see no reason to think Corbin can't pitch well in the AL East.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Why not?

Chase Field rates as more of a hitter's park than OPACY, yet Corbin's home splits were excellent in 2017.  There really aren't many better targets out there for the Orioles.  Only question to me is what we'd have to give up.  I'm not sure that there's an affordable fit trade-wise, but I see no reason to think Corbin can't pitch well in the AL East.

Weren't they interested in Manny?

1 minute ago, elgordo said:

Weren't they interested in Manny?

I could see Corbin as a piece in a Manny trade, but not the key piece.  You don't trade Manny for 1 year of Corbin.  You just don't.  Now, as the third piece with, say, Duplantier and Drury, yes.  Not sure that flies with the Diamondbacks, though.  A guy like Duplantier is the key piece that would drive the deal for the Orioles, but the Diamondbacks probably are reticent to trade a guy like that for one year of Manny.  And the Orioles aren't likely to trade Manny for a one-year rental of a mid-rotation starter and a utility infielder without that projectable SP prospect, IMO.  As I said, I'm not sure that there is a fit.

Man, if Arizona would have a desire to have Trumbo return, that would be ideal.  I know, that's a pipe-dream.  :)

5 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Could DD simply be waiting for the asking prices to become reasonable and then strike to land two guys like a Cobb & Lynn? Next year there are some great position players who will be Free Agents, but not pitching. With teams trying to limit spending this year why not splurge for two such pitchers and then you could trade them after this year if you need to. The idea being that those teams willing to spend next year will not find much pitching on the market. Could this plan work?

I don't see DD doing that. 

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

Why not?

I don't understand the thinking that a pitcher from the NL won't be able to pitch in the AL East. I'd be happy for Corbin to be on the O's.

8 hours ago, weams said:

Roch indicated that some of the available pitching is not healthy. Other's we can all agree is out of the rebuilding Orioles price range. Betting on signing a long-term deal with a pitcher and then selling them if not in the running is a bet that only a team with unlimited resources might have the stomach for. If you get stuck with a bum contract or an injured pitcher you get to run Ubaldo out there for four seasons. And he was a cheap signing. 

How are we rebuilding? We've made no moves that would indicate this. Of course, we've made no moves that indicate we're going in the other direction either. 

Just now, waroriole said:

How are we rebuilding? We've made no moves that would indicate this. Of course, we've made no moves that indicate we're going in the other direction either. 

Everyone is going gone. By definition replacing them with younger players is rebuilding. From the ground up. Not trading for new guys. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Everyone is going gone. By definition replacing them with younger players is rebuilding. From the ground up. Not trading for new guys. 

You have a different definition of rebuilding than most of us.    When you trade Tejada, Bedard, Sherrill and Uehara for younger players, that’s rebuilding.   

Archived