Least attractive franchises to sign a long-term deal with now?

Frobby

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long term?  Fiers turned down a two year deal for a one year deal with Less money.  Now I realize he is trying to rebuild value but the Orioles might be one of the least noticing to sign any deal with.

Now, the vast majority of time players are signing for the most money regardless, but I don't think anyone is looking to come to Baltimore if the deals are equal.  Maybe some hitters.

Competitiveness also plays a big part into this as well.  And the Orioles lack of interest in improving their last place team shows. 

23 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Long term?  Fiers turned down a two year deal for a one year deal with Less money.  Now I realize he is trying to rebuild value but the Orioles might be one of the least noticing to sign any deal with.

Now, the vast majority of time players are signing for the most money regardless, but I don't think anyone is looking to come to Baltimore if the deals are equal.  Maybe some hitters.

Competitiveness also plays a big part into this as well.  And the Orioles lack of interest in improving their last place team shows. 

Deals are never really equal. The money, years or tax deal always makes them unequal.  When you are a last place team you are by definition rebuilding. 

31 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

And the Orioles lack of interest in improving their last place team shows. 

I am still not there yet.   Cashner is out there for maybe a 2 year deal plus an option, Vargas is out there for maybe a one year and an option.   They may be able to talk Tillman into a minor league deal where if he shows well in ST he get a rotation spot.   The O's have 5 pitchers that have to make the team or go through waivers in  Cortes, Araujo, Mesa. Wright and Ynoa.   There will be  roster spots open on opening day.

As long as these three guy are out there I still think the O's could improve.  But its all going to come down to the O's offer the most money and is that what the player is looking for.

39 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't wish to be rude. But the sales pitch is now and always has been the most money for the most years. 

I don't expect that to be the Orioles often. Nor do I think it should be for the most part with the limited market and financial uncertainty of the franchise. 

I agree.  If I am looking for a free agent deal which may be once in a career, then money is first, second and third in importance.  

If I am a veteran and am looking towards an end of the career deal, then maybe a near term winner becomes a factor.  If I am just trying to make another paycheck or I am a younger guy, say in the bullpen, then I might actually want a team that is a loser because they would have more of an opening for me than a winner. 

If I am enamored with being a superstar, a media star, have opportunities to maximize my off field revenue, then NY, Los Angeles move to the front.

But geography?  Demographics of a city? Crime rates?  Ballpark?  The owner?  Clubhouse amenities?  Team morale?   Virtually nonexistent factors if it were me. 

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

But geography?  Demographics of a city? Crime rates?  Ballpark?  The owner?  Clubhouse amenities?  Team morale?   Virtually nonexistent factors if it were me. 

Absolutely. As is the Wining. And Dining. And the color of the GM's tie and short sleeve shirt.  These players never even talk to a prospective employer. Their Enabler/Agent does. 

Not the long-term deals. It is a game of musical chairs. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure you can be a last place team in denial.

Yes. There are few terrible teams that aren’t rebuilding: Orioles and Padres are the most obvious along with the Royals soon (will fall off Big this season). Time will tell if the Pirates and Marlins are actually rebuilding or if they are just aiming for a payroll and crowd size that turns a profit. Astros and Cubs just came out but it wasn’t clear in the beginning if Houston was actually rebuilding or just trying to turn a profit (obviously they were full rebuild). Similarly too early to tell what Detroit and Milwaukee will do or if the Phillies White Sox and other teams who are currently in rebuild mode will stay on that path. I will say it’s rare to see teams, especially teams that are in a healthy market and have a fan base be both terrible and not aiming to rebuild (at least a little). 

Just now, MikeAD said:

Yes. There are few terrible teams that aren’t rebuilding: Orioles and Padres are the most obvious along with the Royals soon (will fall off Big this season). Time will tell if the Pirates and Marlins are actually rebuilding or if they are just aiming for a payroll and crowd size that turns a profit. Astros and Cubs just came out but it wasn’t clear in the beginning if Houston was actually rebuilding or just trying to turn a profit (obviously they were full rebuild). Similarly too early to tell what Detroit and Milwaukee will do or if the Phillies White Sox and other teams who are currently in rebuild mode will stay on that path. I will say it’s rare to see teams, especially teams that are in a healthy market and have a fan base be both terrible and not aiming to rebuild (at least a little). 

The Giants don't look to be rebuilding.  They are in full bore reload mode.

I said the other day that I will be interested in how their 2018 season goes.

Archived