So Seriously-is this team going to do ANYTHING this offseason?

Rene88

We all know we need to trade Manny and sell whatever pieces we can....but well....Angelos.

So...what the heck is going on? I know this organization is inept but this offseason takes the prize. I am at a lost for words.

What do you expect at this point?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.  We will likely get one pitcher. But it won’t be pretty maybe Cashner. Maybe we sign Tillman if he can’t find a gig as April approaches.  That’s it. I don’t think we sign a MLB level OF but will load up on spring training invites and minor league contracts on thst spot hoping for a breakthrough. 

Thst hat is about what can be done outside of a trade.  Were you expecting otherwise? 

I've resigned myself to the fact that they'll sign Tillman and let the 7 or 8  young non-top prospect pitchers they have compete for the last two spots. 

Silver lining is I'll have no expectations so if they start winning it'll be a nice surprise with minimal heartbreak. 

12 hours ago, Rene88 said:

We all know we need to trade Manny and sell whatever pieces we can....but well....Angelos.

So...what the heck is going on? I know this organization is inept but this offseason takes the prize. I am at a lost for words.

Like we really need another whole new thread to complain about Angelos, DD, and Manny?

What can be said, that hasn't been said over and over and over.

12 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I've resigned myself to the fact that they'll sign Tillman and let the 7 or 8  young non-top prospect pitchers they have compete for the last two spots. 

Silver lining is I'll have no expectations so if they start winning it'll be a nice surprise with minimal heartbreak. 

I have no problem signing Tillman to a low but heavy incentive contract.

Look, this all sucks. But if I had to guess, I'd guess the following:

• We sign two starting pitchers. One of them is Chris Tillman on a 1-year deal, potentially a minor league deal, but if I had to bet, I'm betting on a ML deal. The other pitcher will be one of the Cashner/Vargas/Liriano variety.  That gives you about 6 or 7 guys to compete for 5 spots in the rotation when you factor in Castro, Cortes, Wright, etc.
  • We sign Ryan Goins or the like to be the UIF. Sorry, Flats.
  • We sign a catcher for depth who we can safely DFA a million times during the year and stash in AAA.
  • We pick up McGowan off waivers from the Mets for bullpen depth.
  • They bring in another lefty bat/outfielder but I don't really buy that it'll be a big name like CarGo.
  • We find a couple young lefties on the waiver wire or for slot picks or cash trades that will compete for bullpen spots. 

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

Look, this all sucks. But if I had to guess, I'd guess the following:

• We sign two starting pitchers. One of them is Chris Tillman on a 1-year deal, potentially a minor league deal, but if I had to bet, I'm betting on a ML deal. The other pitcher will be one of the Cashner/Vargas/Liriano variety.  That gives you about 6 or 7 guys to compete for 5 spots in the rotation when you factor in Castro, Cortes, Wright, etc.
  • We sign Ryan Goins or the like to be the UIF. Sorry, Flats.
  • We sign a catcher for depth who we can safely DFA a million times during the year and stash in AAA.
  • We pick up McGowan off waivers from the Mets for bullpen depth.
  • They bring in another lefty bat/outfielder but I don't really buy that it'll be a big name like CarGo.
  • We find a couple young lefties on the waiver wire or for slot picks or cash trades that will compete for bullpen spots. 

More detailed than I could have provided, but I this is more-or-less what I'm expecting at this point.  I was a proponent of rebuild/retool, but that doesn't appear likely.  I hope people going to fanfest question not rebuilding.. maybe it will give ownership some pause in understanding that we can stomach it, if it's for the greater good.

But assuming something along the lines of this occur.. I'm thinking, what? 84 wins if- IF- things go well?  Probably a losing record all things being equal. 

13 hours ago, Rene88 said:

SOS

39 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Like we really need another whole new thread to complain about Angelos, DD, and Manny?

What can be said, that hasn't been said over and over and over.

It's a very slow boring offseason. Maybe this man didn't see the other thread. Or maybe he enjoys the bash of Angelos and DD. They certainly deserve it. 

8 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

More detailed than I could have provided, but I this is more-or-less what I'm expecting at this point.  I was a proponent of rebuild/retool, but that doesn't appear likely.  I hope people going to fanfest question not rebuilding.. maybe it will give ownership some pause in understanding that we can stomach it, if it's for the greater good.

But assuming something along the lines of this occur.. I'm thinking, what? 84 wins if- IF- things go well?  Probably a losing record all things being equal. 

I don't see that many wins. 65 maybe 70 wins. 

10 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Any success this year depends largely on the same exact things the Orioles were depending on in 2017: Tillman, Bundy, and Gausman. If they all pitch well, the team could be above .500 IMO. But we know how these things work by now, especially with pitching. 

It's a half-decent bullpen. It's a half-decent lineup if Trumbo or Davis regain any kind of prior form. It's an abysmal starting rotation as it stands right now, but certainly there's a chance for a few things to go right in the rotation. Bundy and Gausman are question marks, but they're young and have good stuff. Tillman.. who knows man. Castro... no idea. Cortes.. ??? It's critical to bring in at least one starting pitcher with a track record, but they haven't had much success with that in the past (Ubaldo, Miley, Hellickon, Gallardo, etc). Cashner, to me, would be a marked upgrade on any of those 4 guys.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Any success this year depends largely on the same exact things the Orioles were depending on in 2017: Tillman, Bundy, and Gausman. If they all pitch well, the team could be above .500 IMO. But we know how these things work by now, especially with pitching. 

It's a half-decent bullpen. It's a half-decent lineup if Trumbo or Davis regain any kind of prior form. It's an abysmal starting rotation as it stands right now, but certainly there's a chance for a few things to go right in the rotation. Bundy and Gausman are question marks, but they're young and have good stuff. Tillman.. who knows man. Castro... no idea. Cortes.. ??? It's critical to bring in at least one starting pitcher with a track record, but they haven't had much success with that in the past (Ubaldo, Miley, Hellickon, Gallardo, etc). Cashner, to me, would be a marked upgrade on any of those 4 guys.

Of course, this is me forcing myself to ignore the fact that poor decisions/lack of decisions are setting the team up for failure over the next 3-5 years. I hope Dan and Buck can find a winning team somehow this year, but it's going to take a lot of luck or a lot of poorly-spent money.

Archived