Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, theobird said:

Jones current contract has nothing to do with where he bats in the order, if he plays on any given day, or what position he plays. He plays where Buck plays him. 

It's not that simple. If it were just up to Buck he wouldn't play through injury as much as he does. And He will only go to RF if he agrees to it. Buck won't order him to.

I am writing to announce that I, Foxfield, from the thriving Metropolis of Burkeville, VA am offering my services to the Baltimore Orioles for the minimum.  I am willing to pitch either Left or Right handed and will work on little or no rest, as a starter or a reliever.  Hell I will start a game and come in after I have been pulled and take down some more innings if that is what is needed.  When we play interleague, I promise I will make them earn the out.  In short, I promise that if they are ok with the worst pitching in baseball, I will at least help guarantee that it won't have to also be expensive.

My wife is my agent and she says if she doesn't have to travel, she will forego the usual fee.  Yes, the medicals are weak, but they are really pretty good for a 54 year old.

I think Hayes is going to be really good. I don't want him to be blocked. If given the chance, I think he will win the RF job this spring. I know the defense is suspect but they have to go Mancini, Rickard, Jones, Hayes and Santander in the OF. Assuming Rickard and Santander on the bench, that leaves a Util infield role and backup catcher. Done. 

30 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It's not that simple. If it were just up to Buck he wouldn't play through injury as much as he does. And He will only go to RF if he agrees to it. Buck won't order him to.

Even Cal moved to 3B when it was time.  And it is time to move Jones to RF.  Winning is more important than a player's pride and ego.  

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even Cal moved to 3B when it was time.  And it is time to move Jones to RF.  Winning is more important than a player's pride and ego.  

Exactly. If the O's have a better team with Jones in RF and somebody else in CF then Jones has two choices. Play RF, where I think he will be excellent and prolong his career. Or he can pout, bitch and ride the pine in his walk year thus ruining his value for his next contract. It is absolutely the Managers call and nobody else's.

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's only time if we have someone demonstrably better in CF. Currently we don't.

2 hours ago, Sir_Loin said:

Jaso is retiring (he hasn't announced), so its not him. He's sailing the Caribbean on a new boat he purchased. FYI

October -
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2017/10/01/john-jaso-pittsburgh-pirates-contract-status-retirement-talks/stories/201710010265

https://deadspin.com/john-jaso-likely-to-retire-live-on-sailboat-1819051415

Move Jones to RF, Hays to CF.  bada bing

4 minutes ago, theobird said:

Exactly. If the O's have a better team with Jones in RF and somebody else in CF then Jones has two choices. Play RF, where I think he will be excellent and prolong his career. Or he can pout, bitch and ride the pine in his walk year thus ruining his value for his next contract. It is absolutely the Managers call and nobody else's.

This isn't fantasy baseball. Who is that somebody else? Managers of real baseball do have to deal with things like ego's, club house climate, team leaders etc.

3 hours ago, MikeAD said:

I hope Hays gets ample playing time.  This team will be lucky to win 70 games if everything goes our way and nothing goes anyone else's.  A LHB or RHB heavy lineup won't change that win total much either way.  On the other hand we need to get Hays both playing time and see what he has, especially with this being Jones' final season.  I hope they let Hays play enough to get both the experience he needs and the evaluation needed to know what the OF might look like going into future seasons, hopefully built around younger players.  

Why do you think we will be so much worse than last year?

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well yeah the Orioles have to get one, but I think Jones doesn't want them to get a better fielding CF.  

Get real where are they going to get one this year? which one of these guys are we going to sign and bump Jones to RF for?

Peter Bourjos (31)
Lorenzo Cain (32)
Rajai Davis (37)
Jaff Decker (28)
Jarrod Dyson (33)
Carlos Gomez (32)
Austin Jackson (31)
Jon Jay (33)
Cameron Maybin (31)
Alex Presley (32)

12 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

This isn't fantasy baseball. Who is that somebody else? Managers of real baseball do have to deal with things like ego's, club house climate, team leaders etc.

As I clearly stated, I would prefer the O's to go get a CFer not a RFer. That CFer is not on this team right now. But, if the LH hitting Ofer they aquire is named Dyson or (RH) Cain....Then Jones is the RFer. And in case you hadn't noticed we all speculate on off season moves, trade packages, FA signings, etc. So yes, this forum is all about fantasy baseball in the off season. To continue my Fantasy, you find a taker for Trumbo and Move Mancini into the DH role. The your OF defense becomes Hays, Dyson and Jones. Yep! Thats my fantasy.

16 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Buck has already stated Jones will be playing CF this year.

Just now, theobird said:

As I clearly stated, I would prefer the O's to go get a CFer not a RFer. That CFer is not on this team right now. But, if the LH hitting Ofer they aquire is named Dyson....Then Jones is the RFer. And in case you hadn't noticed we all speculate on off season moves, trade packages, FA signings, etc. So yes, this forum is all about fantasy baseball in the off season. To continue my Fantasy, you find a taker for Trumbo and Move Mancini into the DH role. The your OF defense becomes Hays, Dyson and Jones. Yep! Thats my fantasy.

Given their current needs a CF replacement for Jones seems to me down on the list.

Which one of these FA CF do you want to sign and bump Jones for?

Peter Bourjos (31)
Lorenzo Cain (32)
Rajai Davis (37)
Jaff Decker (28)
Jarrod Dyson (33)
Carlos Gomez (32)
Austin Jackson (31)
Jon Jay (33)
Cameron Maybin (31)
Alex Presley (32) 

Dyson is a superior defensive CF but he is a .674 83 OPS+ and a year older than AJ

Archived