Does signing Vargas, Cashner and (Tillman to an incentive contract) make the O's a wild card contender?

wildcard

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Possibly, but not certain which is why pieces should be traded away now. 

However, we are the Washington Redskins of MLB, so we will not sell and be stuck in a deep malaise for the next 10 years as a result.

Sick burn! I am not the biggest fan of Angelos, but he is like .0000001% as bad as Snyder.

15 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If by contender you mean having a nonzero chance, yes. We are still worse on paper than the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Astros, Twins, and Angels, and even or worse than the Blue Jays, Royals, and Mariners. 

Maybe, but they don’t play the season on paper.    If we’re not going to go into serious rebuild mode this offseason, then I’d rather go in with a fighting chance.   New York, Boston, Cleveland and Houston look to be the class of the AL.   Nobody else really scares me, though the Angels intrigue me.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe, but they don’t play the season on paper.    If we’re not going to go into serious rebuild mode this offseason, then I’d rather go in with a fighting chance.   New York, Boston, Cleveland and Houston look to be the class of the AL.   Nobody else really scares me, though the Angels intrigue me.

What if we get locked into Cashner for four years like we did with Ubaldo?

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

There's appears to be no way anyone get's more than 3 years. Certainly not Cashner. He probably wants 3 and we are offering 2.

I sure hope you are right. Even so, he seems like a pitcher version of Trumbo. Three years of Cashner for a fighting chance to maybe, just maybe get a wild card? Not the worst deal in the world, but probably not enough to make a difference for us when we really should be looking to rebuild.

56 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What if we get locked into Cashner for four years like we did with Ubaldo?

I’d be against that, though I doubt Cashner would be as bad as Ubaldo.   My expectations for him were not that high, but he certainly fell miles short of even my modest expectations.  

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

Longoria is gone.  What have they done to improve?   We've added negative-Miley, negative-Gallardo, and negative-Ubaldo.   We might be one of the most improved teams in baseball.

Check.  And.  Mate.

The Rays starting pitching has the potential to be really good.  Honeywell is a top prospect that is more than ready.  One of these yeasr Archer i going to put it all together.  Odorizzi has steadily improved. Snell seems like like he is figuring things out.    They brought up Jacob Faria last year and he was impressive and they have Nate Eovaldi coming back from tommy john.     

14 hours ago, POR said:

The Rays starting pitching has the potential to be really good.  Honeywell is a top prospect that is more than ready.  One of these yeasr Archer i going to put it all together.  Odorizzi has steadily improved. Snell seems like like he is figuring things out.    They brought up Jacob Faria last year and he was impressive and they have Nate Eovaldi coming back from tommy john.     

I agree, the Rays are loaded with SP. I don’t really like Shell. Eovaldi wasn’t too great in the AL East before his injury. Once Darvish and Arrietta come off the board, a team might get desperate/sneaky and trade for Archer. Minnesota would be a good fit. Then AL central is way down with KC, Det, and CWS all rebuilding. 

16 hours ago, POR said:

The question is going to be price. It will cost probably 2 of Mullins, Stewart or Hays, maybe Scott and someone else as well. 

On 1/21/2018 at 3:45 AM, Rene88 said:

Possibly, but not certain which is why pieces should be traded away now. 

However, we are the Washington Redskins of MLB, so we will not sell and be stuck in a deep malaise for the next 10 years as a result.

You are probably right. 

Archived