Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

10 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I wouldn't say he isn't intelligent.  I think he's got a back bone, a WS experience, an understanding of what it takes to be a winner, history with the O's, he's a proven clubhouse leader, he was proud to be an Oriole, he seems to be a people person, and he knows what it takes to be a successful in the face of adversity, especially with his rise from the Indy leagues.  

Plus this: 

A clubhouse jokster maybe, but a clubhouse leader? I just don't see it. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, section18 said:

It all started with the failure to trade Britton and Manny last summer before the deadline.  Things continued downhill in September.  Manny's demand to move to SS this off season messed up the infield.  Beckham was okay, not horrible, after his trade here and contributed offensively. His move to 3B has totally messed him up  offensively and defensively.  Schoop never got untracked and then the injury.  Many on here don't like Trumbo but he is much better than Davis at the plate.  There were several free agents that had decent OBP's we could have signed with Jay being one and the Royals speedy OF whose name escapes me.  The Tillman signing was a huge mistake. 3 million plus incentives? Talk about throwing money away.  Why did Coolbaugh return as hitting coach?  Several teams replaced their hitting coaches this season with better numbers than we have. Power only ! We don't manufacture runs. Not part of Buck's game plan.  I believe Tom D on the post game show said in our last 40 games going back to last season we have won 9 games out of 40. It's time for some changes. Where do you start?  You know our problems really started when we decided not to let DD go to Toronto.   We have been spinning out of control since then.  Replace DD immediately with Dan O'Dowd former GM.  Tell Buck to fire  our hitting coach immediately. If he refuses tell him he will be replaced along with the coach.  Davis has to agree to a return to Florida with coaching by a top batting guru.  Three more K's last night. Enough automatic outs.  Tillman needs to be released. Many on here  will disagree but I would put Manny back at 3B and trade him before the month is over.  The Cubs and Dodgers are interested as well as others. If the Angelos sons are not meeting at the warehouse with Brady and DD to discuss major changes then they are clueless.  There is still time to turn things around. One hand is still above the water and quicksand but not for much longer. It's hard to believe it's only April 18th !

Can you really fail at something you don't try to do? They may have been shopping Britton, but they certainly weren't shopping Manny. It's almost like the whole organization had a come to Jesus moment right before the winter meetings and finally realized that he wasn't going to resign. That's the unforgivable mistake IMO. Not pressing Manny enough before hand to determine if they even had a shot at resigning him. 

Manny's move to SS is also baffling. I don't see a single line up scenario where it makes the team better. The only person it benefits is Manny, because his agent can sell him as a SS or 3B in the offseason to his suitors. Why this team continues to pander to a player who's about to leave them is beyond me.

6 hours ago, section18 said:

It all started with the failure to trade Britton and Manny last summer before the deadline.  Things continued downhill in September.  Manny's demand to move to SS this off season messed up the infield.  Beckham was okay, not horrible, after his trade here and contributed offensively. His move to 3B has totally messed him up  offensively and defensively.  Schoop never got untracked and then the injury.  Many on here don't like Trumbo but he is much better than Davis at the plate.  There were several free agents that had decent OBP's we could have signed with Jay being one and the Royals speedy OF whose name escapes me.  The Tillman signing was a huge mistake. 3 million plus incentives? Talk about throwing money away.  Why did Coolbaugh return as hitting coach?  Several teams replaced their hitting coaches this season with better numbers than we have. Power only ! We don't manufacture runs. Not part of Buck's game plan.  I believe Tom D on the post game show said in our last 40 games going back to last season we have won 9 games out of 40. It's time for some changes. Where do you start?  You know our problems really started when we decided not to let DD go to Toronto.   We have been spinning out of control since then.  Replace DD immediately with Dan O'Dowd former GM.  Tell Buck to fire  our hitting coach immediately. If he refuses tell him he will be replaced along with the coach.  Davis has to agree to a return to Florida with coaching by a top batting guru.  Three more K's last night. Enough automatic outs.  Tillman needs to be released. Many on here  will disagree but I would put Manny back at 3B and trade him before the month is over.  The Cubs and Dodgers are interested as well as others. If the Angelos sons are not meeting at the warehouse with Brady and DD to discuss major changes then they are clueless.  There is still time to turn things around. One hand is still above the water and quicksand but not for much longer. It's hard to believe it's only April 18th !

The only part of this that might happen is Tillman being released.  Maybe.  Because he is starting Saturday.   The rest of it?  Not happening.  This team has finished last before and is perfectly willing to do so again.  

19 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I wouldn't say he isn't intelligent.  I think he's got a back bone, a WS experience, an understanding of what it takes to be a winner, history with the O's, he's a proven clubhouse leader, he was proud to be an Oriole, he seems to be a people person, and he knows what it takes to be a successful in the face of adversity, especially with his rise from the Indy leagues.  

Plus this: 

70-92

69-93

68-93

On 4/17/2018 at 9:37 PM, Can_of_corn said:

So?

Did he positively influence his team mates when he was here as a player?  I recall him promoting "beards for birds" because he didn't want to shave.

I agree, the shaving rule is ridiculous.  Shows he understands how to motivate a team.  I think he was influential while he was here.  He was around a young AJ, a young Markakis, and he probably saw some of the other guys who were still in the minors like Wieters, Britton, etc in ST.   Even though he wasn't here when we won, I feel like he had a positive influence on several players that ended up becoming leaders and better players.

7 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

WS with Boston

No knock on Millar, but the fact that he was on a WS winner really doesn’t mean much to me in terms of whether he was a leader or a good influence or whatever.     Boston apparently didn’t think he was so indispensable that they needed to keep him after 2005, and they somehow managed to win it without him in 2007.     Long and short, there are 25 players on a team, and they don’t all need to be great players, great leaders or great teammates for that team to win.   Personally I liked Millar while he was here.    I have no idea if he’d make a good manager.

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I agree, the shaving rule is ridiculous.  Shows he understands how to motivate a team.  I think he was influential while he was here.  He was around a young AJ, a young Markakis, and he probably saw some of the other guys who were still in the minors like Wieters, Britton, etc in ST.   Even though he wasn't here when we won, I feel like he had a positive influence on several players that ended up becoming leaders and better players.

I think that's nonsense.

I'd say that him throwing out a first pitch for Boston when they were in the playoffs kinda shows his heart wasn't with Baltimore when he played here.  He was only here because Boston didn't want him anymore.

I don't think he had any special leadership juju and the team lost a lot of games when he was here so I don't think his presence makes a team a winner.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

No knock on Millar, but the fact that he was on a WS winner really doesn’t mean much to me in terms of whether he was a leader or a good influence or whatever.     Boston apparently didn’t think he was so indispensable that they needed to keep him after 2005, and they somehow managed to win it without him in 2007.     Long and short, there are 25 players on a team, and they don’t all need to be great players, great leaders or great teammates for that team to win.   Personally I liked Millar while he was here.    I have no idea if he’d make a good manager.

I remember hearing a lot about his positive influence on that Boston team. His playing talent and their decision to let him go because they wanted to find a better option has no influence on how he would manage a team.  I would believe that being part of a WS champ, especially as a veteran, would have a great influence on a player's understanding of what a team dynamic needs to be in order to become a WS champion. 

I don't know if he would be great, but he has a great love and passion for the game, and grinders, which I consider him, find a way.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that's nonsense.

I'd say that him throwing out a first pitch for Boston when they were in the playoffs kinda shows his heart wasn't with Baltimore when he played here.  He was only here because Boston didn't want him anymore.

I don't think he had any special leadership juju and the team lost a lot of games when he was here so I don't think his presence makes a team a winner.

I think its nonsense to assume that you know the reasons behind a player's ( a player you've never had a conversation with) decisions.  As far as throwing out the first pitch, his heart is absolutely connected with that WS team.  That was history.  I didn't take that personally as an O's fan when it happened.  I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing.  I think he would of thrown out the first pitch if he were with the Giants, A's, Blue Jay's, even the Yankees.  Braves fans didn't spit on Markakis when he tipped his cap to O's fans as a Brave.  I think both are examples of how fans show respect to former players who were important to their history.  

As far as Millar becoming an O because the Red Sox didn't want him anymore; that's what mediocre veteran baseball players do.  They go play for the O's.  Its an example of Boston being a smarter club and knowing when to let players go at the right time.  Millar seems fairly humble, and he probably wouldn't of resigned himself either if he were in Epstein's shoes.   Hypothetically though, lets say the O's won the 2008 WS and Millar was a big part and the next season he went and played for another team. I think he'd come back and throw out a first pitch if we were in the playoffs in 2009.

Another example of why I like Millar.  I remember he single handily taught the O's lineup how to beat knuckleball pitchers.  "If its coming in high, let it fly, if its coming in low, let it go."  He mashed knucklers.

Apologies if he has already been brought up, but what about Brian Roberts? Connected to the team, seems to be respected by peers and current Orioles and always had an idea of what he wanted when playing and based on what I have heard with him on the radio has a pretty good grip on what is going on day to day and play to play. 

I'm sure there are tons of reasons why he wouldn't fit, but he was my favorite player for a number of years and I'd love to see him back.

Let's get back on topic if we can.  Who would be the best choice to be the next Oriole manager?

A former catcher or pitcher ?  Either one would probably help us at this point in time.

Someone with experience or someone new to managing? 

I think we need someone with experience and if he was with NY or Boston that's okay.  Someone who as been on a winning team before.

Will help us sell tickets. 

If he's interested I think Joe Girardi is the guy. He knows the players in the game and knows most of the Oriole players already from ml and ST games. He can clean up our bullpen and defensive woes and help our current or new GM make the needed trade of Manny probably to his former team in NY.  He knows the current Yankee players and their minor league system and could help us pull off a major trade that would help our team for years to come.  Would he like to get back at his former team for letting him go ? Absolutely !! Let's do it !

Buck has lost his shining light with the team and the fans and it's time for a change.

Joe Girardi should be the next Orioles manager and can keep this ship from sinking. He has star power and will have immediate respect of the players, media and fans.

Archived