Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

3 hours ago, Natty said:

I don't understand all the praise for DD. We are struggling to even play .300 baseball. We have some of the most disasterous contracts in baseball. We desperately needed pitching after last year. We got Cobb and Cashner. I've already heard the argument about too many chefs in the kitchen. What has DD done that was good for the club recently that helped us win? I don't get it.

And me either, I just do not understand. I want a new regime. Time to turn the page, get a whole new outlook on life, both in the front office and on the field.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes against my fandom, as I love Buck and know he was a major reason for our turnaround this decade, but I voted for a clean slate across the board.  Buck had essentially the same core he's had during the playoff run to start this season, plus better starting pitching with the additions of Cobb and Cashner, and yet the team completely collapsed.  How does an entire team, except for Jones and Manny, all slump simultaneously and to this degree?  Gotta clean slate the entire coaching staff.

At the same time, out minor league development is pretty bad by all accounts, and Duquette didn't do much to address the OBP weakness of this team, proactively approach the expiring contract players, and countless other miscues.  So it could be he was hamstrung by ownership, but I don't buy it that Peter cared that much who the minor league coaches, scouts, etc. are (though I admit I could be very wrong there).

In any event, I voted for a clean slate, as I think that's best for the long term success is to move on and move forward, but that said, I won't be disappointed if one or both stay.  

Considering that Dan Duquette has yet to be signed to an extension, there is a real possibility that the O's will be seeking a new Executive Vice President, Baseball Operations ("GM" for short :P ).  Therefore it seems like a good time to review some potential replacement candidates.  The following is taken from an MLB.com article regarding the Mets' GM search and covers some candidates we may eventually consider:

Jared Porter, Assistant GM, D-backs
As part of the Theo Epstein tree that has produced a wealth of front-office talent, Porter has been a part of four World Series championship clubs with the Red Sox and Cubs. Porter joined Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen (another Epstein disciple) in Arizona in November 2016, taking over as the D-backs' senior vice president and assistant GM. Porter is well-respected among scouts, coaches and player development folks, his experience in several areas making him an ideal GM candidate.

Chaim Bloom, Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, Rays
A finalist for GM openings in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Bloom has established a stellar reputation during his 13-year run with Tampa Bay. When Andrew Friedman left for Los Angeles in 2014, Bloom was promoted to the Rays' VP of baseball operations, adding the senior VP title in '16. Erik Neander holds the GM title, though the duo works in concert when it comes to the club. For Bloom, the opportunity to run his own team -- especially a big-market club in close proximity to his native Philly -- would be an interesting possibility.

Tim Naehring, VP of Baseball Operations, Yankees
One of Brian Cashman's most trusted lieutenants, Naehring has developed a reputation as one of the best talent evaluators in the game. The former Red Sox infielder would join Jerry Dipoto as the only former big league players in a GM position, though it remains to be seen whether Naehring would even be interested in leaving the Bronx after spending more than a decade working for Cashman.

Ben Cherington, VP of Baseball Operations, Blue Jays
The former Red Sox GM has been connected to other jobs, namely the Braves' opening last fall. Cherington has been serving as the Blue Jays' VP of baseball operations for the past two years, and while he seems satisfied in his role, a move back to the GM chair can't be ruled out. Cherington was the GM for Boston's 2013 World Series championship club, but he left after Dave Dombrowski was hired as president of baseball operations.

Jason McLeod, SVP of Player Development/Scouting, Cubs
Yet another Epstein disciple, McLeod has been part of the Cubs' brain trust since November 2011 as the club's senior VP of player development and amateur scouting. McLeod has been considered a future GM for a few years, though he signed an extension with the Cubs that runs through 2021. During his time in Chicago, he's overseen the selection of first-rounders Albert Almora Jr., Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber in consecutive years.

Josh Byrnes, SVP of Baseball Operations, Dodgers
The former D-backs and Padres GM nearly landed the Mets' gig in 2010, finishing as the runner-up to Alderson. Byrnes, the Dodgers' senior VP of baseball operations for the past four years, was Epstein's assistant GM from 2003-05, helping the Red Sox break their 86-year curse. He's been a candidate for other GM jobs in recent years, including the Angels gig that went to Billy Eppler in late 2015.

-end-

I'm particularly high on McLeod and Porter, and was surprised to see the Astros' Mike Elias omitted from the article.  However, feel free to discuss anyone that interests you, even if they're not among those listed.

Duquette may have been retained for next year (and possibly beyond), but they won't make any announcements about DD or Buck until after the season. Making public that Duquette has been retained without saying anything about Buck would pretty much say everything about Buck. The same would be true the other way around.

We'll just have to wait a few months before we know anything about the future.

I believe we need to find someone with a small market background.  Someone used to working on a light budget and doing more with less.  The large market teams have been used to outspending the rest of the league - particularly just recently for international talent.

That said, I am fine giving DD the time to build out an international scouting presence and then evaluate where we are as an organization. There is a lot I didn't like about DD, but I also think the organization could benefit from some stability.

44 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Duquette may have been retained for next year (and possibly beyond), but they won't make any announcements about DD or Buck until after the season. Making public that Duquette has been retained without saying anything about Buck would pretty much say everything about Buck. The same would be true the other way around.

You're right, but why does it really matter if they spill the beans about who will be back? 

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

You're right, but why does it really matter if they spill the beans about who will be back? 

Because it would be an embarrassment to the one not being brought back. It would be a lousy thing to do, to show up an employee like that.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Agree, I would bet on DD being back and buck being gone. Buck served the Os well, his time is done. DD is just now showing his full potential. At this point in time, I would give DD a three year contract and if he felt that he needed his title changed to grab pooba than whatever but your role is the same. You could even pay him another $1 a year for all I care. But I really don’t see them bringing in a new gm in the next 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

To all: Outside of a potential Duquette return, are there any candidates that you'd feel good about hiring?

I'm going mostly on what you've presented here as I don't know the FOs of baseball very well at all.  I think I would be most interested in Josh Byrnes.  He has experience knowing how the big boys operate (BOS, LAD, MFYs of the world), and how smaller teams (Padres, ARI) have to operate.  We need this, given that we are not a large market at all, but play against the 2 biggest. 

On 8/19/2018 at 12:13 PM, mdbdotcom said:

A few more months of Buck is making me crazier than ever. 

33 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

I'm going mostly on what you've presented here as I don't know the FOs of baseball very well at all.  I think I would be most interested in Josh Byrnes.  He has experience knowing how the big boys operate (BOS, LAD, MFYs of the world), and how smaller teams (Padres, ARI) have to operate.  We need this, given that we are not a large market at all, but play against the 2 biggest. 

Anyone of them listed would be a good pick for the O's. 

Archived