What if Mullins shows he is ready for the majors in ST?

wildcard

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The point is that though 44 days does not sound like much it is 1/4 of the season which can be impactful.  Santander does have to show he can hold his own to stay.

If a regular season is 162 G then 44 days is more like 1/3 a season.But unless Santander is so painfully bad, you don't give him up for a guy who has not been above AA and can use the seasoning.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is pretty much nothing that could happen in spring training that would convince me otherwise.  Most of spring training is competing against minor league pitchers, or pitchers who are rusty and working on things.    Mullins struggled at the end of last year in AA and needs more MiL experience regardless of how he does in a few dozen spring training at bats.  

I agree with this.  He could not show any better than he did last spring and he was not a candidate last year.  He is not a candidate to make the team this year either, imho.  Not till Adam Jones last year is over and his future sorted out. And Santander will have to hit as badly as Ryan Flaherty to not stay on the team for 44 games. 

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If a regular season is 162 G then 44 days is more like 1/3 a season.But unless Santander is so painfully bad, you don't give him up for a guy who has not been above AA and can use the seasoning.

Umm,   1/3 of a season would be 54 games.

1/4 of a season is 40.5 games.     I'll let the viewers decide which number is closer to 44.

Agree that they have to give Santander a shot.   His minor league numbers were insane last year, albeit in a SSS.

• 1 month later...

o

(vs. METS, 3/18) ))) [Spring Training]

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 4-0, Mullins led off the 3rd inning with a bunt single, and then stole 2nd base.

He came around to score the Orioles' first run of the game on an RBI-single by Chris Davis.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. METS, 3/18) ))) [Spring Training]

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 4-0, Mullins led off the 3rd inning with a bunt single, and then stole 2nd base.

He came around to score the Orioles' first run of the game on an RBI-single by Chris Davis.

o

He also got a bunt single yesterday. Might be next years version of Gentry.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:18 AM, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd give him a full year in Norfolk unless he beats down the door like Mancini. Another problem is outside of injury (heaven forbid) to Trey or Trumbo, there's no room for him on the roster

I’d do that with him anyway. Plus defense and plus plus speed, but I’ve yet to see him look comfortable at the plate. A little seasoning....

37 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He also got a bunt single yesterday. Might be next years version of Gentry.

If you want him to be Gentry, he’s already that guy or better. Faster, better defensively, more power, probably less contact at this point. 

He’s going to be in the minors this year so he can hopefully develop into a full time or near full time player.

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If you want him to be Gentry, he’s already that guy or better. Faster, better defensively, more power, probably less contact at this point. 

He’s going to be in the minors this year so he can hopefully develop into a full time or near full time player.

I'd love for him to be a full time player. He is probably the best defensive outfielder in the Orioles system right now.

I just hope this season he can show that last spring and the beginning of the year weren't a fluke with the bat.

But, worse case scenario...

Archived