If Mussina gets the HOF nod tonight...

SteveA

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even for those fans who dont hold his departure for the Yankees against him, Mussina doesn’t inspire fan worship similar to the other HOFers who primarily wore the black and orange. I don’t think he’d draw a big Baltimore contingent.  

o

Your namesake is the exception, as he was an Oriole for only 6 out of his 19 prime years in the Majors (1956-1974.)

o

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Or get a statue at Camden Yards, if he entered the Hall as an Orioles?  The other six Oriole HOFs have both retired jerseys and statues.

My bet is no.  

I was a huge Mussina fan, and do not fault him for leaving.   I vehemently believe he belongs in the Hall of Fame.    But no, I do not think he should have a statue at OPACY.    And if they were going to retire his number, they’d have taken it out of circulation already.   I’m fine reserving those honors for Hall of Famers who (1) won a World Series with us, and/or (2) didn’t leave here voluntarily.    I suspect some day there could be a player who deserves such recognition who doesn’t meet either of those criteria, but that’s probably decades away.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even for those fans who don’t hold his departure for the Yankees against him, Mussina doesn’t inspire fan worship similar to the other HOFers who primarily wore the black and orange.   I don’t think he’d draw a big Baltimore contingent.    

I guess I am in the minority.

I was a huge fan of his, and was heart broken when Angelos reneged and went back on his promise.

I feel like we only remember Mussina because of 2 things:

1. He was the last Orioles ace. It's been 18 years since the Orioles last had an ace.

2. He left for the Yankees, of all teams.

Had the Orioles developed another top tier pitcher in the last two decades, we might not really care about Mussina this much. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

More starts as an O, more wins, better winning percentage, lower ERA, lower ERA+, greater WAR.

MLB might care about that if he didn't end up a Yankee. As such, I think they'll care about the Yankee part more. I'm sure he does.

Archived