Will Flaherty be back?

wildcard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yet they finished five games ahead of the Orioles.

BTW, the Orioles went 24-33 (.421) after the Beckam trade and Tampa went 26-29 (.473). Obviously that's not all on Beckam for either team, but it shows why the Rays were willing to trade him within the Division to a team who at the time was one game away from them in the standings. 

Beckam first 17 games with Orioles: .479/.500/.845/1.345 in 74 PAs (Orioles went 9-8)
Beckam last 33 games with Orioles: .221/.276/.366/.641 in 156 PAs (Orioles went 13-20)

Yeah, it remains to be seen what kind of year Beckham will have.   Still, he was hardly alone in having a cold September, so I don’t really blame his slump for our poor finish.   It was a collective offensive collapse.   

11 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

It's fine with me.  I just worry about the Orioles poor record of multi-tasking, that this is all they are working on now.

Flahety could easily win the utility infielder role if resigned. He was allowed to leave for free agency to save money. If we aren't adding the pieces o compete it's just plain stupid to overpay a utility infielder.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Flahety could easily win the utility infielder role if resigned. He was allowed to leave for free agency to save money. If we aren't adding the pieces o compete it's just plain stupid to overpay a utility infielder.

I pray this is a MiL contract with an invite to Spring Training.  Could definitely see the O's giving him 1 year, 1.25M or something.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont think this is right, his contract was up and he is coming off an injury.

I think the Orioles have an interest in him, as they have said so.

I think Ryan might be holding off, hoping for a major league deal.

3 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I'm sure a minor league invite is on the table. Buck loves the guy. I expect Flaherty to come to our spring training and win the utility job. 

And that's a problem. Buck loves certain players and keep them when there may be a player thats less cost and can do the job as well as Flaherty. 

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

And that's a problem. Buck loves certain players and keep them when there may be a player thats less cost and can do the job as well as Flaherty. 

What Flaherty offers is unusual defensive versatility. He has played every position except CF and C, and at least so far he 's been OK at all of them. That's been especially helpful when the bullpen's been overworked and the Orioles have carried a Rule 5 guy who doesn't play much.  I think it's time to go younger, cheaper, and if possible pinch runner-faster.

What people don't seem to understand is a) very few UTIF's have much of a bat. If they did they be playing more and for the 150 -200 PA it doesn't matter all that much. b) defensively what is needed is someone who is steady at all positions he covers. Someone who can be trusted to make the routine play. Again if he was a wizard at any one position he would be playing more.

While nobody is craving to sign Flaherty,  why is he bargaining the O's for money. Not like he hit the house down.  He only deserves a minor league deal.  Any other team will give him that.   This is the same thing about Drew Hutchison. I am sick of these less than fringe players wanting big undeserving money according to their poor production.  

Archived