Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

weams

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is a combination of two things.

1. Rewarding Manny for being a good soldier and playing third all this time.
  2. Buck trusting Manny to run the defense more than Beckham.

Interesting points.  Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, raypetty said:

They are playing him at SS to display his talents and hope to get a haul of picks before the trade deadline.  

He won’t be worth more at the deadline than he is now, I can practically guarantee that.

Position players don’t generate the same type of deadline premium that pitchers do and the acquiring team loses a guaranteed solid draft pick by acquiring him at the deadline instead of now.  

18 hours ago, cimota said:

Manny will be worse at SS than at 3B.  Beckham will be worse at 3B than SS.  I am not sure this switch will make it through spring training.

I don’t think you are asking the right question.   Let’s say the above is true, but that it’s also true that Manny is a better SS than Beckham.    In that case, it could still be a plus for the defense to switch them, because SS is the more important defensive position.    

The most interesting part to me of that video was the situation of all of those plays.  I believe that in 17 of the 20 the Orioles had the lead.  The score in the other three was 1-0, 1-0 and 4-3.  Also amazing how many of the plays happened either early in the game, several in the first inning, or very late in the game.  He certainly seems to have a flair for making plays in key situations.  

34 minutes ago, The Goob said:

The most interesting part to me of that video was the situation of all of those plays.  I believe that in 17 of the 20 the Orioles had the lead.  The score in the other three was 1-0, 1-0 and 4-3.  Also amazing how many of the plays happened either early in the game, several in the first inning, or very late in the game.  He certainly seems to have a flair for making plays in key situations.  

And that's why we love him

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think you are asking the right question.   Let’s say the above is true, but that it’s also true that Manny is a better SS than Beckham.    In that case, it could still be a plus for the defense to switch them, because SS is the more important defensive position.  

Amen. The calculus employs weighted variables.

Archived