Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

weams

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt this, but what if they are putting Manny at SS to make him happy and increase their chances of re-signing him?  Just a thought, maybe a 5% chance.  We really dont know the Orioles future plan, if they even have one.  For all we know, he has told Buck, "Show me some good will and you guys will get a fair chance at me coming back".

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think you are asking the right question.   Let’s say the above is true, but that it’s also true that Manny is a better SS than Beckham.    In that case, it could still be a plus for the defense to switch them, because SS is the more important defensive position.    

Manny is not as good a short stop as a third baseman.  Beckham might not be as good a third baseman as he is a shortstop. So Manny might be 10 percent better than Beckham as short and 50 percent better at 3rd.   

45 minutes ago, cimota said:

Manny is not as good a short stop as a third baseman.  Beckham might not be as good a third baseman as he is a shortstop. So Manny might be 10 percent better than Beckham as short and 50 percent better at 3rd.   

HOT TAKE: By June, Manny is back at 3B and Beckham is at SS.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:35 AM, weams said:

Defense at third base. Never to be seen again! Share your favorites.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:45 AM, weams said:

He left third base! Where he was platinum! Never to be seen again. He is now the thick shortstop! 

22 hours ago, weams said:

He won't play that beautiful third base for us again.  Nothing premature about that. He'll make a middling shortstop. 

19 hours ago, weams said:

Yep. Sure did. He moved to third later. Was never his strong suit. 

You sure are stirrin the pot...

The Orioles may very well be weakening themselves at two positions. While Manny  is likely a better SS than Beckham, I doubt that he will be the glue that Hardy has been to that infield. Beckham has 9 MLB starts at third, so you are replacing a premier defender at third with an inexperienced player. I think that there are two ways where this move may make sense.  One, the orioles sign a third baseman and make Beckham a super sub. ( this would also entail Buck using Beckham enough to get him 400 plate appearances in this role.) The other logical reason for this move would be to use Machado's time at short to showcase him for a deal at the deadline. IMO, this move is about placating Machado. He wants to play the glamour position of shortstop in his walk year to enhance his value. Hopefully, the Orioles will benefit from a focused player who is looking to cash out big time. Ultimately is is probably the right move. Machado would most likely sulk if he did not get this opportunity,

Archived