4 hours ago, cimota said:

Easier to get high WAR at shortstop than at first base. Especially in those days when most shortstops were light hitting. 

I agree. I like WAR and use it a lot, but I think it tends to underrate first basemen and also Designated Hitters. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie, like many players, was great for about a decade and merely very good after that.    WAR doesn’t capture all of Eddie’s greatness because it doesn’t take sequencing into account and assumes any variation in “clutchness” is random chance.    

I grew up watching Cal. For me, there is no doubt he is the face of the franchise since his rookie year. His steady glove and production was unlike anyone else in the game. He was the embodiment of the "Oriole Way." Cal always had time to engage the fans, and I think that always will stick with me when so many others were not as gracious. Cal has taken his "brand" to a national level as not just an Oriole, but as an advocate for youth baseball. He does not seem to have a real close tie to the Orioles these days, although I know he is occasionally around.

I never saw Brooks play, but he was always a great ambassador for the Orioles whether a broadcaster, a frequent corporate sponsor spokesman or just a presence around the franchise. A true class act. I have watched many highlight reels of his greatness, and I do wish I could have seen him play. I can see why so many would think he is our #1 guy.

I never saw Frank Robinson play either. But, he may just have been the best player we have ever had overall. If he had been a lifetime Oriole, would he be in this discussion? According to Baseball reference, his career war was 107.2. In his six years as an Oriole, he had a war of 32.4. He was an MVP, finished 3rd in MVP voting twice and a 5 time All Star.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/robinfr02.shtml

ESPN’s article talked about which teams have a guy playing for them right now who is or might be the all -time face of their franchise when he retires.     The only definite one was Mike Trout for the Angels.    Others considered to be possible were: Bryant, Goldschmidt, Kershaw, Lindor, Harper, Strasburg, Beltre, Votto and Arenado.   Manny wasn’t considered for us because (1) everone thinks he’s leaving and (2) Cal is just too high up on a pedastal in any event.

Archived