Birds Watcher: Schoop and Thursday (Schoop Signs for 8.5 Million)

weams

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/astros-george-springer-extension-two-years.html

The Astros have agreed to a two-year, $24MM contract with outfielder George Springer, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). Springer, a Super Two player who was in his second trip through the arbitration process, will earn $12MM in each year of the deal. Springer is represented by the Legacy Agency.

Sigh...what it must be like to have a different ownership and GM.   

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bought out arbitration years two and three but not four?

Never.

I don't think it happens all that often.

They did extend Markakis and Jones while they were arbitration eligible.

Jones deal was in May of 2012 and he would have become a free agent the next year, right?.   Nick's deal was even before his first arb year, wasn't it?   Doesn't happen much, for sure.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Jones deal was in May of 2012 and he would have become a free agent the next year, right?.   Nick's deal was even before his first arb year, wasn't it?   Doesn't happen much, for sure.  

Jones was under control through the 2013 season. 

I don't think the amount  Schoop is awarded in arbitration will affect the makeup of the team at all. However, I think it would be great if the Orioles make their case at least in part on his Fanfest absence and win. If you want top money, be a team player and be there for your fans. Otherwise, take the crumbs and like 'em.

Archived