O's may be competing with other launching pads for starters

wildcard

One of the reasons that is often sighted for FA starters not wanting to sign with the O's is that Camden Yards is a hitter's park.   But lets look who the O's are competing with for starters.

The top four FA starters, that seem to be out of the O's price range, are targets for the Cubs. Twins and Brewers who all are willing spend big.   Now the New York press is saying that the Mets might be the team to spend on that fourth expensive FA starters.  Other teams that have been mentioned don't appear to be willing spend at that level or  are not in a position to spend at that level.   The Yankees and Dodgers are trying to stay under that luxury tax.    Rangers GM Daniels repeated says he does not have the money for the big 4.   Philly who have money don't appear to want to pay at that level.   The Nationals could join in before its over but they have luxury tax issues of their own (currently at 178m with the luxury tax at 197m) and have three candidates for the 5th starter spot in Cole, Fredde and Jackson.  The Nationals seem more interested in adding a catcher.

So who besides the O's are in on the next level of Vargas and Cashner?   That appears to be the 10-14m level on a one or two year contract.    The teams I see interested at that range are the Blue Jays and the Rangers.   Both of those  teams play in parks that are hitters parks also.   If Philly decides to add,  they are a launching pad also.  However,  I don't know if they are interested in either of these starters. 

Who else will be competing for these two starters with the O's?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

One of the reasons that is often sighted for FA starters not wanting to sign with the O's is that Camden Yards is a hitter's park.   But lets look who the O's are competing with for starters.

The top four FA starters, that seem to be out of the O's price range, are targets for the Cubs. Twins and Brewers who all are willing spend big.   Now the New York press is saying that the Mets might be the team to spend on that fourth expensive FA starters.  Other teams that have been mentioned don't appear to be willing spend at that level or  are not in a position to spend at that level.   The Yankees and Dodgers are trying to stay under that luxury tax.    Rangers GM Daniels repeated says he does not have the money for the big 4.   Philly who have money don't appear to want to pay at that level.   The Nationals could join in before its over but they have luxury tax issues of their own (currently at 178m with the luxury tax at 189m) and have three candidates for the 5th starter spot in Cole, Fredde and Jackson.  The Nationals seem more interested in adding a catcher.

So who besides the O's are in on the next level of Vargas and Cashner?   That appears to be the 10-14m level on a one or two year contract.    The teams I see interested at that range are the Blue Jays and the Rangers.   Both of those  teams play in parks that are hitters parks also.   If Philly decides to add,  they are a launching pad also.  However,  I don't know if they are interested in either of these starters. 

Who else will be competing for these two starters with the O's?

Twins, Texas, Philadelphia, Yankees, Angels, Seattle, Giants, Brewers, Mets.

I'm not advocating for any pitcher in particular, but the Orioles have put themselves in this position. They either have to step up and try and sign their targets or trade some pieces and plan for the future. Going into this season with what they have on hand will set this team back in a very competitive division.

21 minutes ago, weams said:

Its doesn't sound like the mariners are going to spend 10+m on a starter.

Jan 28th

Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would it be the best thing through the wider lens for the present and future of the Mariners? Probably not. We’ll be able to address those needs as we go. Because the one thing we’ve not had to deal with here is a lack of resources.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/west-notes-mariners-as-duensing-ajax-giants.html

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Angels have 6 starters in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Ramirez, Bridwell plus Ohtani when he is ready. Plus  Tropeano is 18 month since his Tommy John surgery.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/mets-rumors-starting-pitching-rotation.html

This indicates that the Mets won't likely be in on one of the top four.

I could see the Nationals land Lynn or Arrieta.  The latter because they always seem to bail out Boras.  I've read that they aren't too concerned about the tax because they are so close to the threshold.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/mets-rumors-starting-pitching-rotation.html

This indicates that the Mets won't likely be in on one of the top four.

I could see the Nationals land Lynn or Arrieta.  The latter because they always seem to bail out Boras.  I've read that they aren't too concerned about the tax because they are so close to the threshold.

Good point.  So the Mets may be in on Vargas or Cashner.

Giants have went over the luxury tax the last 3 years.    The fourth time it will cost they a 50% tax.   They are at 194m with the luxury tax at 197m.    A 20m/yr add will cost them almost 30m because the tax.   They are more likely to trade for pitching help then sign FA.

Not only do pitchers not want to come here and get lit up by the Yankees all summer, but they also don't want to deal with the physical and they don't want to deal with the negotiation games that the Warehouse appears to employ. 

The fact that players routinely price themselves out of Baltimore is due in part to how the Orioles run their organization. There's a lot of blame to be put on themselves. They remove avenues of talent acquisition (not going international, not going 4 years on pitchers, not doing opt outs, etc) and they make it easy for free agents to choose to go elsewhere because contract negotiations are messy, they won't get the opt out, the ballpark is a launching pad, and the physicals have a way of torpedoing their market if the results leak. 

I don't believe the MFY or Dodgers care as much about staying under the cap than outsiders think they do. Sure, they talk about "re-setting." But the penalty is small potatoes, especially for those teams. I would say it is even money that both teams will exceed the cap again this year.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I would say the most likely competition for the O's for Vargas and Cashner are Texas, Blue Jays and Mets.

And its hard to believe the O's would outbid any on those teams it the other team really want the pitcher.

Isn't the tax in Canada ridiculous? 

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

I don't believe the MFY or Dodgers care as much about staying under the cap than outsiders think they do. Sure, they talk about "re-setting." But the penalty is small potatoes, especially for those teams. I would say it is even money that both teams will exceed the cap again this year.

You think a 50% tax on the overage is small potatoes?     I don’t.   A one-year reset would save a lot of money.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You think a 50% tax on the overage is small potatoes?     I don’t.   A one-year reset would save a lot of money.  

I am saying that the publicly stated goal is not to be trusted. As a percentage of revenue, the penalty is small enough that pursuing a championship may outweigh the desire to reset. Both of those teams foresee themselves as 2018 World Series champions.

Archived