Ryan Flaherty Appreciation Thread

Dark Helmet

I was very glad to have Flaherty on the team. Very versatile and came through both defensively and offensively during crucial times more than any other utility player we've had since...who? Bob Johnson? We'll miss him more than most of us expect.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I was very glad to have Flaherty on the team. Very versatile and came through both defensively and offensively during crucial times more than any other utility player we've had since...who? Bob Johnson? We'll miss him more than most of us expect.

Lenny Sakata for the 1983 Orioles comes to mind.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.83os24aug24-story.html

I love this Roch comment, and it just shows that he reads OH!!!!

Taken in the 2011 Rule 5 draft from the Chicago Cubs, Flaherty handled the utility role for the Orioles for most of the last six seasons. I thought he did a solid job, especially on defense. I also feel his play was analyzed and over-analyzed more than any utility player I’ve ever seen.

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Lew Ford batted .375 that series, and had the only RBI for the Orioles in the decisive Game 5.

If only we had more guys like Flaherty and Ford in that series.

o

Yeesh - Lew Ford! How could I forget! Looking back, that 2012 roster really was a mish-mash of parts. Let's remember some forgotten 2012 guys:

Luis Ayala (66 games)

Endy Chavez (64 games)

Kevin Gregg (40 games)

Omar Quintanilla (36 games)

Nick Johnson (38 games)

Matt Lindstrom (34 games)

Lew Ford (25 games)

Ronny Paulino (20 games)

Bill Hall (7 games)

Randy Wolf (5 games)

JC Romero (5 games)

Joe Mahoney (2 games)

Flash will be missed, no doubt, for all that he could do.  I think a team poised to win a championship would love a guy like Flash.  For the O's it would be nice, but there are bigger needs.  Always liked him, wish him well.  Fully expect to see him again.  Lol.

From MLBTR:

Flaherty would earn at a $1.9MM rate if he makes the roster, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. He could also earn a further $300K in incentives and may opt out on March 22nd if he has not been added to the MLB roster.

So Philly valued Flash enough to give him a raise over his 2017 salary in spite of his injury plagued season.   The O's probably wanted him to take a pay cut.    

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It was always fun when he'd run into one and send one out of the park. He tried hard. Heck of a defensive 3B, imo. 

Chris Gomez is still my favorite utility player, though. Flash would have to be a close second.

I liked in when Melvin Mora was in the super-utility role.  Like in 2003 when he started at five different positions and put up a .921 OPS.

So Ryan Flaherty has an opt out of March 22nd if he hasn't made the team.  His 1.9 million dollar salary he only gets if he is in the majors. I wouldn't count on Ryan being gone just yet.  He could easily not make the Phillies team and opt out on March 22nd and be available to anyone who wants him. 

Archived