Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bobmc said:

"Interest remains in bringing back Chris Tillman, who’s working out in Sarasota. Tillman is hoping to land a major league deal, but he may not have an offer on the table at the moment.

The Orioles engaged in recent talks with Tillman’s agent and there were internal discussions about him again today as pitchers and catchers reported to the Ed Smith Stadium complex. The Orioles haven’t moved on from him and likely would want to chance to match any offer that he receives.

He won’t be hard to reach. He can be found inside their weight room."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/perci-garner-on-knee-surgery-and-signing-with-the-orioles.html

At this point just do it. If we’re only making a one year run then let’s do it with Tillman. He’s an oriole. I’d rather root for that guy than some random flawed vet in a similar situation. 

Plus the guy pitched hurt for us down the stretch in 2016. We could do worse. 

6 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

How do you know he wasn't still dealing with the injury the second half? Why would a pitcher headed for free agency for the first time admit he was hurt?

How do you know that what he admitted wasn't the truth? Why would a pitcher admit to changing his delivery and being unable to re-find it if it weren't true? That is actually a much bigger problem than just recovering from an injury.

Meanwhile, inside the clubhouse, there was a peculiar setup, with three empty lockers along the row of lockers usually assigned to veteran pitchers

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-morning-20180215-story.html

“Opportunity may come early, so be ready,” he told the pitchers Wednesday, “Because at some point they’re going to go away and there’s always the possibility that someone else shows up at this camp.”

BS

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

How do you know that what he admitted wasn't the truth? Why would a pitcher admit to changing his delivery and being unable to re-find it if it weren't true? That is actually a much bigger problem than just recovering from an injury.

Not really. You can fix pitching mechanics alot easier than a shoulder problem. Id rather take a chance on a guy finding his rythym (that has a good track record previously) as opposed to a guy that has a bum shoulder. Guys have down years all the time. Very few guys recover from shoulder injuries (or at least the same after one). 

I'd rather say I'm just off right now then say my arm is falling off. Especially if I'm trying to show someone I'm worth millions .

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

Not really. You can fix pitching mechanics alot easier than a shoulder problem. Id rather take a chance on a guy finding his rythym (that has a good track record previously) as opposed to a guy that has a bum shoulder. Guys have down years all the time. Very few guys recover from shoulder injuries (or at least the same after one). 

I'd rather say I'm just off right now then say my arm is falling off. Especially if I'm trying to show someone I'm worth millions .

Either way, signing Tillman to more than a minor league deal is too much of a risk. If he insists on a major league deal, let him go elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Now, hopefully Jimenez goes soon (I can only imagine on a MiL deal) so I don’t have to think about him in an Orioles uniform again.

I can just hear Dan at the presser, “Well, it’s the devil you know.”

Ugh

It won’t surprise me if Ubaldo has a good season left in him somewhere.   Check out Bartolo Colon 2006-07 and tell me you thought he’d still be pitching in 2017.

But no, I have no interest in seeing him in an Orioles uniform.   

I gotta believe, if he's capable at all, Tillman to the O's is all but guaranteed.  He's been in camp, we know his health status, we need arms, and there can't be much of a market for him.  Just a question of what he gets. 1/4 maybe?  I'm guessing he starts out at Norfolk.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Oh yeah, I won't lose any sleep over not signing Hutchinson.  It's just they can't even get the people they are supposedly targeting that shouldn't cost much.

Maybe they feel their young guys like Mesa and Cortes are better than the likes of guys like Hutchinson.

I pray that its not just because they are cheaper.

Archived