Cashner signing

jcaponio

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

I hope this signing indicates larger aspirations. If 4th place is the goal, then why not just trim payroll?

...because it's a veiled attempt to convince the average Joe Schmo fan that they're doing something. I'm pretty certain that Cashner will be the BEST pitcher theyy sign (and I'm really hoping that I'm wrong).

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

...because it's a veiled attempt to convince the average Joe Schmo fan that they're doing something. I'm pretty certain that Cashner will be the BEST pitcher theyy sign (and I'm really hoping that I'm wrong).

That's entirely possible, certainly not putting it past this organization. Still, the way this contract looks to be structured, the Orioles have left themselves enough money to make another significant addition if they so choose and can find a match. All the while reducing payroll from last year's number.

I'm not confident this is the club's intention, but it does give me a little hope. There are still a few difference makers out there in the market and it is getting way late in the process, so who knows...

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

So what if they sign Vargas next? Does that move the needle for anyone?

No. If the intention is to compete, then I think the Orioles need a Cobb or a Lynn (or trade for McHugh).

Vargas in addition to Cashner is just hoping for lightning in a bottle.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

No. If the intention is to compete, then I think the Orioles need a Cobb or a Lynn (or trade for McHugh).

Vargas in addition to Cashner is just hoping for lightning in a bottle.

I think they still need 2 of Lynn, Cobb, and McHugh. Even then I think it's only an outside chance at a wildcard game.

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This.  And it's a terrible strategy.  Cobb and Lynn might give the Orioles a chance to get in the playoffs.  It's more than likely Cashner gets eaten alive having to pitch in the AL East and in Camden Yards.  

I hope Cashner proves me wrong.