Cashner signing

jcaponio

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Makes sense, the further you get on top of it the more downward trajectory you get and the harder it is to elevate.

Still, very "meh" on this one.  Should be better than Ubaldo but I don't expect much better than Miley.

Did the Orioles just get better? Nope.

Much better than Ubaldo and a little better than Miley is better.

Just now, El Gordo said:

Cashner had an ERA of 3.40 last season regardless of who was catching him.

Cashner's stats suggest he is a pitcher who got lucky last season.  His FIP was 4.61 and only struck out 4.6 batter per 9 innings.  

I hope he does well, but I'm expecting Cashner to put up an ERA of 4.50+ pitching in the AL East.   

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cashner's stats suggest he is a pitcher who got lucky last season.  His FIP was 4.61 and only struck out 4.6 batter per 9 innings.  

I hope he does well, but I'm expecting Cashner to put up an ERA of 4.50+ pitching in the AL East.   

A 4.50 ERA would have been our second best ERA by a starter last season.  I think most of us would be thrilled if he could do that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, cimota said:

A 4.50 ERA would have been our second best ERA by a starter last season.  I think most of us would be thrilled if he could do that. 

That would definitely be an improvement, but that is a low bar to pass.  It still doesn't make the Orioles legit playoff contenders.  Tillman bouncing back, and Gausman/Bundy continuing to improve is the only path I see to Orioles playing October baseball.  Or the Orioles add Lynn and Cobb. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Probably.   Miley put up an ERA of 5.75 over 43 starts in Baltimore and averaged 4.91 innings per start.    I expect Cashner to do considerably better than that.    If Miley puts up better numbers in Mikwaukee I really won’t care.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Probably.   Miley put up an ERA of 5.75 over 43 starts in Baltimore and averaged 4.91 innings per start.    I expect Cashner to do considerably better than that.    If Miley puts up better numbers in Mikwaukee I really won’t care.    

I'm done with Miley don't want to gamble on him again.  But I will not be surprised if Miley has a comeback season.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

4.50 is fine if it results in 15 QS. and a lot better than Miley, Miley's FIP was 5.27

21 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

You guys are never happy no matter who the Orioles sign. It is apparently easier to be negative around here rather than positive. Miley and Ubaldo were absolutely horrible. There is no way in the world that Cashner will be worse than them especially with a good catcher like Joseph.

Being better than Miley and Ubaldo does not make a good pitcher.  The bar is set extremely low.