What was our record in games Hays started?

NedFromYork

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I wouldn't be so fast with that assessment on offense. i think Hays very well could end up with Adam Jones-like numbers in the major leagues. You can argue that Hays has more power at 22 than Jones did. I'm not saying Hays will become a right field Adam Jones, but Jones is not a bad comp for him.

Yeah, I'd be happy to be wrong on that. I did see the Jones comp that someone posted in another thread.

Does anyone else think his swing's a little weird though? Kinda slaps at the ball. Is that gonna play at this level? We'll see. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I'd be happy to be wrong on that. I did see the Jones comp that someone posted in another thread.

Does anyone else think his swing's a little weird though? Kinda slaps at the ball. Is that gonna play at this level? We'll see. 

Hays is very aggressive and needs to learn to be more selective, but I didn't see anything wrong with the swing and I saw him a bunch in the minors. He was pressing in the big leagues and probably wasn't ready after just 283 AA PAs. He makes good adjustments and will continue to do so as he matures as a hitter. I'd be thrilled though if he put up Mancini numbers in his rookie year.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Hays is very aggressive and needs to learn to be more selective, but I didn't see anything wrong with the swing and I saw him a bunch in the minors. He was pressing in the big leagues and probably wasn't ready after just 283 AA PAs. He makes good adjustments and will continue to do so as he matures as a hitter. I'd be thrilled though if he put up Mancini numbers in his rookie year.

Again, comparable to Adam Jones: low walks. Probably won't improve at MLB level.

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I can't get overly excited about a guy whose team went 3-13 in games that he started.

There just has to be a significant correlation there.

o

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Malike, I might need some help with this (in advance.)

o

15 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Are you joking?

Only if Hays threw his Erik Bedard like curve more often and mixed in the eephus pitch and gyroball; he could have reversed his record to 13-3.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, PaulFolk said:

The Orioles were 3-13 in games that Hays started. Most of his starts came in late September when the Orioles' collapse was in full effect and they were limping to the finish line.

I didn't know or have forgotten he started a game. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Too soon to say.   Most players improve their walk rates over time. Look at Schoop last year.

Yes, Hays and Mountcastle in particular have been encouraged to be extremely aggressive and to paraphrase "learn what they can't hit" in the minors.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too soon to say.   Most players improve their walk rates over time. Look at Schoop last year.

Schoop’s minor league walk rates were reasonable. His walk rate during his first seasons was lower than probably anyone projected. His 2017 rate is probably close to those projections.

Archived