How good do you expect Manny to be at SS in 2018?

Frobby

How good will Manny be at SS in 2018?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How good will Manny be at SS in 2018?

• Outstanding - Gold Glove candidate
    • Well above average - top 5 in the league
    • Average or a little above
    • Noticeably below average
    • Terrible

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Simmons plays in the AL (Angels).  Had a 7 win season last year, finished 8th in MVP voting.

Manny is capable of putting up 5 wins just with his bat. First 2 months last year he was ICE cold and still had a decent year overall.

12 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If Cal could be  GG SS I don't see why Manny can't. If anything I think Manny is more athletic, 

I think Manny can be a good shortstop, but I don't know that Cal's ability to play short means anything about Manny.  

People often said Cal's advantages were in positioning.  Today you don't position by instinct or notes or whatever Cal did, you look at the data.  Cal would have less of an advantage today.

30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think Manny can be a good shortstop, but I don't know that Cal's ability to play short means anything about Manny.  

People often said Cal's advantages were in positioning.  Today you don't position by instinct or notes or whatever Cal did, you look at the data.  Cal would have less of an advantage today.

People often question Manny at AS because of his size. Cal was even bigger.

6 hours ago, elgordo said:

People often question Manny at AS because of his size. Cal was even bigger.

Manny is listed at the same height as Ian Desmond, Didi Grigorius, Troy Tulowitzki, Ben Zobrist, Alex Rodridguez, Derek Jeter, Bill Almond, Tony Kubek and the immortal Rene Gonzalez.  There are six players with 1000+ games in the majors, played mostly short, and were Manny's height or taller.  Ron Hansen was as tall as Manny and won the 1960 ROY at short for the O's.

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Manny is listed at the same height as Ian Desmond, Didi Grigorius, Troy Tulowitzki, Ben Zobrist, Alex Rodridguez, Derek Jeter, Bill Almond, Tony Kubek and the immortal Rene Gonzalez.  There are six players with 1000+ games in the majors, played mostly short, and were Manny's height or taller.  Ron Hansen was as tall as Manny and won the 1960 ROY at short for the O's.

To begin with the listed weights are usually well off. Do you think the Babe played at 215 for most of his career? Manny has bulked up quite a bit since his first season. He is no where near 185 now. He' at least as big as Schoop at 225. Probably more.

Archived