Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low average, low OBP, high K rate.... yep he looks like an Oriole

With all the consternation (and rightly so) concerning the starting rotation people seem to have forgotten that this offense stinks

We have lost the solid OBP of Seth Smith, and very solid bat of Wellington Castillo

Trey Mancini went from a .901 OPS in his first 73 games to a .759 in his second 74, and hit only 1 HR in his last 101 AB's (can anyone say league figured him out?).

Adam Jones is replacement level, Trumbo, Davis and Beckham will be below replacement level offensively.

The hope for C and RF is to turn them over to totally unproven rookies... or Colby Rasmus?

This team really stinks

6 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Didn't Buck meet with him before he went to Houston a few years ago, and "it wasn't a fit" for the Orioles?

Yup:

Buck Showalter had a meeting with free agent outfielder Colby Rasmus on Saturday. According to Fox's Jon Morosi, the meeting went well, at least from Rasmus' end: He reported that Rasmus came away from the meeting with "a very favorable impression" of the Orioles.

Where does this rank for importance on the scale of baseball free agent rumors? Favorable impressions don't sign a lot of checks, and in this case, all that has been reported is the feelings of Rasmus about the meeting. Local O's writers touched on the meeting without saying anything of substance about how Showalter came away feeling about Rasmus.

That matters because, as MASN's Roch Kubatko writes, the meeting was as much about Showalter "forming his own opinion" on a player who's come with some red flags in the past. He has done this before, Roch notes. If Buck were to give the thumbs down to Rasmus, that would be that. Of course, even if Showalter likes Rasmus and Rasmus likes Showalter, that doesn't mean that Rasmus' agent and Dan Duquette are going to be the first ones to come to a deal

That was 2015, so if Buck had liked what he saw/heard, you would have thought they would have pulled the trigger

55 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Low average, low OBP, high K rate.... yep he looks like an Oriole

With all the consternation (and rightly so) concerning the starting rotation people seem to have forgotten that this offense stinks

We have lost the solid OBP of Seth Smith, and very solid bat of Wellington Castillo

Trey Mancini went from a .901 OPS in his first 73 games to a .759 in his second 74, and hit only 1 HR in his last 101 AB's (can anyone say league figured him out?).

Adam Jones is replacement level, Trumbo, Davis and Beckham will be below replacement level offensively.

The hope for C and RF is to turn them over to totally unproven rookies... or Colby Rasmus?

This team really stinks

Adam Jones had 2.5 War last year.  A consistently good player throughout his career.  I think  you are overly negative for no reason.  

If the Rays are willing to DFA someone like Dickerson (2.7 WAR last year).......let Odorizzi go for a song...........is it worth kicking the tires on Archer?  Seems like the only thing the Rays care about is getting cheap players.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

If the Rays are willing to DFA someone like Dickerson (2.7 WAR last year).......let Odorizzi go for a song...........is it worth kicking the tires on Archer?  Seems like the only thing the Rays care about is getting cheap players.

It's never bad to kick tires, but I think it would cost too much. They got a nice package back for Souza. The reason they let Odorizzi and Dickerson go so cheaply is because they don't believe in them. Dickerson had a terrible second half and my bet is they saw something very concerning to them. He hasn't been a great OBP guy since coming to TB either. As for Odorizzi, he's young, but was essentially a replacement level pitcher last year. He has regressed the last three years with his command getting worse. He had a 5.43 FIP last year and allowed 30 homers and 61 walks in 143.1 innings.

I think the moves were bad in that the players should have garnered more of a return, but there were signs for both that are likely what the Rays were focused on.

Just now, jamalshw said:

It's never bad to kick tires, but I think it would cost too much. They got a nice package back for Souza. The reason they let Odorizzi and Dickerson go so cheaply is because they don't believe in them. Dickerson had a terrible second half and my bet is they saw something very concerning to them. He hasn't been a great OBP guy since coming to TB either. As for Odorizzi, he's young, but was essentially a replacement level pitcher last year. He has regressed the last three years with his command getting worse. He had a 5.43 FIP last year and allowed 30 homers and 61 walks in 143.1 innings.

I think the moves were bad in that the players should have garnered more of a return, but there were signs for both that are likely what the Rays were focused on.

Souza was cheap and affordable and they had every intention of keeping him.

Till the D'Backs came calling and over spent (IMO).

On 2/20/2018 at 8:26 AM, weams said:

I do not believe the Orioles would have enough money or any of those three starter under any Circumstance without trading Manny and Trumbo. 

We are still $30 million under last year's payroll!  None of those guys are getting $30 million AAV.  We have the money.  

Just now, FanSince88 said:

We are still $30 million under last year's payroll!  None of those guys are getting $30 million AAV.  We have the money.  

I'm sorry, we're actually $40 million under last year's payroll!  If we're serious about competing this year, there is no excuse not to sign Cobb or Lynn.  We had the money last year and should have plenty to afford one of them this year.

1 minute ago, FanSince88 said:

I'm sorry, we're actually $40 million under last year's payroll!  If we're serious about competing this year, there is no excuse not to sign Cobb or Lynn.  We had the money last year and should have plenty to afford one of them this year.

I think the evidence is clear that, for whatever reason, the owner has set the budget lower this year.  

There's been ton of speculation about reasons (preparation for possible sale, drop in attendance revenue for several years running and probably worse this year, or knowledge that we can't really compete despite what they say).

Can't say for sure which I believe, bit it's clear the payroll budget is down.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think the evidence is clear that, for whatever reason, the owner has set the budget lower this year.  

There's been ton of speculation about reasons (preparation for possible sale, drop in attendance revenue for several years running and probably worse this year, or knowledge that we can't really compete despite what they say).

Can't say for sure which I believe, bit it's clear the payroll budget is down.

Ok, then we're not serious about competing and should trade Machado immediately.  You're either in or you're out, especially in the AL East.  Staying mathematically in the WC race until early July isn't going to satisfy fans.  If PA has been paying attention to anything since 1998 he should realize that.  

Archived