Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

No, I will not be giving Dook (nor Buck) credit if Tillman pitches well. But I will give Tillman his props.

Rasmus is the Orioles 2018 starting rightfielder, like it or not.

He isnt even on the 40 man roster, and has to play some in ST, before I anoint him a starter.

Why so much hate towards DD and Buck, that you can not give credit where credit is due?
If you are going to cast stones and knock them when they do wrong, you have to give them credit when they do right, or you are just a hater, and I dont think you are that.

16 hours ago, interloper said:

I hear what you're saying here, but Dan rolled the dice on Tillman based on two things: 1) they've seen him throw and like what they see, and 2) they can't afford to lock down any of the big 3.

So, they did the best with what they could and figured he was as good a bet as anyone left on the FA market that they could afford. So, IMO, if Tillman is good it won't be so much a savvy signing as a lucky one. Because PA backed them into a corner with his no-4-year-deals philosophy.

That said, I hope he's good and at least we can have a bit of confidence that the folks paid to evaluate pitchers got one right.

I dont know, Tillman back in form, might not be a big 3, but that still a pretty strong pitcher for your roster, especially, if not asked to be the TOR.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

He isnt even on the 40 man roster, and has to play some in ST, before I anoint him a starter.

Why so much hate towards DD and Buck, that you can not give credit where credit is due?
If you are going to cast stones and knock them when they do wrong, you have to give them credit when they do right, or you are just a hater, and I dont think you are that.

Nah, I don't have hate towards Dook about this signing or anything else. And I am pretty sure there are not many posts I have made that trash him out. If anything, I am more positive about the job he has done in Baltimore than many posters here.

The reason I would give Tillman credit but not Dook is that I think this is an example of the path of least resistance...Tillman is falling into his lap. I do disagree with signing Tillman to an MLB contract, but that has no impact on my feelings. As for Buck, I assume this is Dook's decision -- as he is the GM -- not Buck's, (though I feel certain Buck is in favor of the signing.)

I will give Dook credit for signing Rasmus. Even if Buck or Brady or someone else were the ambassadors of goodwill, he is the man in the GM chair. I think the only things that could stop Rasmus from being coronated this season's starting rightfielder (against right-handed pitchers, albeit) would be signing another lefty hitting COF (not Alex Presley) or Rasmus breaking down physically. The hip surgeries were "to shave down a bone spur and to repair the labrum in his left hip and another to repair a core muscle." It's not like he had hip replacement. Hopefully, being away from the game gave him sufficient time to heal fully.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Nah, I don't have hate towards Dook about this signing or anything else. And I am pretty sure there are not many posts I have made that trash him out. If anything, I am more positive about the job he has done in Baltimore than many posters here.

The reason I would give Tillman credit but not Dook is that I think this is an example of the path of least resistance...Tillman is falling into his lap. I do disagree with signing Tillman to an MLB contract, but that has no impact on my feelings. As for Buck, I assume this is Dook's decision -- as he is the GM -- not Buck's, (though I feel certain Buck is in favor of the signing.)

I will give Dook credit for signing Rasmus. Even if Buck or Brady or someone else were the ambassadors of goodwill, he is the man in the GM chair. I think the only things that could stop Rasmus from being coronated this season's starting rightfielder (against right-handed pitchers, albeit) would be signing another lefty hitting COF (not Alex Presley) or Rasmus breaking down physically. The hip surgeries were "to shave down a bone spur and to repair the labrum in his left hip and another to repair a core muscle." It's not like he had hip replacement. Hopefully, being away from the game gave him sufficient time to heal fully.

Fair enough.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rasmus...comeback player of the year.  You heard it here first. 

Yes Moose, I am also excited to have Rasmus on the team. He has the skill set that I think really fits what we need, high obp not withstanding. If Rasmus is healthy, that's a big addition imo.

9 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

This a basically a no risk option, welcome and hope for the best, if not DFA'em. Honestly I think Rasmus has a good chance to produce here.

Does that mean that he'll have plenty of options or that he actually will succeed?  I like what I hear from himself but I have guarded optimism and will be surprised if he lasts the season.   He is saying all the right things.

10 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Does that mean that he'll have plenty of options or that he actually will succeed?  I like what I hear from himself but I have guarded optimism and will be surprised if he lasts the season.   He is saying all the right things.

Agree, and on a minor league deal IMHO it's a no brainer to give it a shot. If he does this for the O's we''ll all be semi GAGA xD .281/.318/.579 with seven doubles, nine home runs and 23 RBIs in 37 games.

21 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Your not ...they are all trash signings.

Rasmus another low lifetime OBP guy .311. So when DD mentioned getting on base more he obviously wasn't talking about Rasmus. 

John Jay would've been the move.....Cashner isn't terrible but Tillman. Cobb has had success in the AL and we could get a deal. We just can't ever seem to make the right move.

Well you can have any opinion you like about the moves. Do I think we should be printing playoff tickets because of them, nope, but do I think they make us better than we were last week, sure.

I think this team needs Cobb or Lynn before I can start dreaming of potentially being in contention for a playoff spot this year, but I'm not going to bash a minor league signing of a guy who was pretty good last year before his hip injury.

Archived