DFA: Ezequiel Carrera Position: Outfielder Bats: Left • Throws: Left

weams

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You think they’d bring him in to compete with Rasmus?

And Brugman and Presley and Santander....

At this point there aren't any LH hitting OFs out there that are clearly better than what we have.   And we have 64 guys in camp.   Bringing in more guys, be they this guy or Saunders or Carlos Gonzalez -- doesn't seem like it would accomplish much.

We never have a bench. I think he fits. It’s hard to do because you have to carry Santander but here’s what I would do

First 45 days:

RF: Rasmus

4th OF: Carrera

5th OF: Santander (plays vs LHP)

After Santander fulfills Rule 5 obligation:

RF: Rasmus

4th OF: Carrera

5th OF: Gentry/Rickard (play vs LHP)

That 2nd group looks like a good MLB bench should be. That’s how a team like the Rays steal some wins. We do it with the bullpen, but to actually have a plus bench would be good. And it would add speed. A bench of, 

C: Joseph

OF: Carrera

OF: Gentry/Rickard 

IF:  Vielma

Good versatility and speed. A good vet bench that isn’t the slow plodding type like we’re used to.  It would be a nice bridge to guys like Hays and Mullins. Plus we can steal some games late with good defense, speed, and a good bullpen. 

45 minutes ago, weams said:

Splits are pretty close to even.....260ish hit....690 vs righties .660 vs Lefties ....OBP .326 vs .325  (60 points higher than avg so he walks some.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Can’t hit well (though he did pretty well last year), poor fielder.   I’d rather have Rasmus.

A lot of these guys grade out poorly because they are playing CF. He’d be fine in LF/RF. I’m all about improving the bench. 

So many teams seem to be tanking this year that there is an unusual availability of vet position players. There is no reason not to have a good bench this year. 

Archived