Reminder: today’s game (2/28) will be broadcast live on MASN

Frobby

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Here is an article about Thorne and the Kings. How did you become a Kings fan?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/gary-thorne-on-his-return-to-nhl-broadcasts-with-the-la-kings-puck-daddy-qa-153957371.html

o

When I was in first grade in the 1971-1972 school year, I picked all 3 Baltimore teams (the Colts, the Orioles, and the Bullets) as my favorites. 

It started with the Orioles because they were in the 1971 World Series, and my whole family was rooting for Roberto Clemente and the Pirates.

2 months later in December of 1971, I fell in love with the Colts when they lost the last game of the regular season to the Patriots and had to settle for the Wildcard instead of winning the division. I still remember the really long touchdown pass that Jim Plunkett threw to Randy Vataha that clinched that game. Vataha had dark hair that could be seen coming out of the back of his helmet. 

Shortly after that my older brother Pete told me that the Bullets played in Baltimore, and that Westley Unseld was their star center, giving me my "COB" trifecta (Colts/Orioles/Bullets.) 

Baltimore did not have an NHL team when I was a little munchkin in the early 70's, so I picked the Kings because I loved their gold uniforms with the big crown on the front of them.

I'm a fanatic about the Colts, the Orioles, and the Bullets, but I am relatively casual about my Kings fandom in comparison, largely because I love those other 3 sports much than I do do ice hockey. 

o

Archived