Who's the RH platoon in RF if Hays starts at AAA?

interloper

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not saying Hays needs to start in the majors, I’m onboard with letting him get two months in AAA first. I’m more pointing out that the team isn’t really serious about being competitive, I mean Gentry for all the Buckisms is 34 and 4 years removed from a useful season. Rickard may be an ok 4/5th OF if his defensive metrics from last year hold up (he looked better to the eye test). If that is the solution, I’d rather throw Stewart in LF and live with Mancini in right. Stewart is better than both of those guys right now IMO. The only problem with that is who backs up CF. There isn’t really a good solution. Maybe Santander starting in RF if they want to go high risk, high reward.

Shoot, I like the Stewart idea. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Shoot, I like the Stewart idea. 

Or vice verse with Stewart in RF and Mancini in LF. Mancini has a more consistent, accurate arm, but Stewart probably throws harder.

Not that Iike the idea of either in RF.

How many consistent RH platoon players are in MLB?  This isn’t like when I was growing up and the bench and bullpen were reversed in terms of number of players. Back then players it seemed were groomed to be platoon players. Now with the shorter benches teams need more everyday players. 

I think Rickard is fine as a platoon player if you just accept him for what he is.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

How many consistent RH platoon players are in MLB?  This isn’t like when I was growing up and the bench and bullpen were reversed in terms of number of players. Back then players it seemed were groomed to be platoon players. Now with the shorter benches teams need more everyday players. 

I think Rickard is fine as a platoon player if you just accept him for what he is.  

I think so, too, but he has to hit. He hasn't really showed the ability to blast line drives all over the field like he did in his rookie season before getting hurt. 

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think so, too, but he has to hit. He hasn't really showed the ability to blast line drives all over the field like he did in his rookie season before getting hurt. 

He is also playing tentative in the field, and just not looking like his rookie season before he got hurt.

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Velencia only has 85 big league games in the OF.

I see him as competition for Beckham at 3rd

That's no problem to the O's m.o. I don't think Beckham's going anywhere. And Valencia says he's not going to AAA. So I think jamalshw has it right.

Edit: ... and, another option to sit CD as needed at first.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:58 PM, wildcard said:

I would not get excited about it.   When Hays gets healthy he will claim his spot in the majors. even if he starts the year in the minors.   Rasmus gets 3/4 of the at bats in RFuntil then.   Gentry or Rickard are fine for 1/4 of the at bats in RF for at month or so..    Rasmus will likely hit for power,  but a low OBP and play solid defense.   But if Hays is healthy he will force his way to the majors both with the bat and glove and be more then a platoon player.

Hays has to show he can hit big league pitching first. I don't think he's nearly as ready as everyone thinks.

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

Hays has to show he can hit big league pitching first. I don't think he's nearly as ready as everyone thinks.

He didn’t look ready last September.    I favor starting him at Norfolk.    If he hits well there we can consider a call-up.    He might have changed my mind by tearing it up this spring, but now he’s behind schedule due to his injury and it’s pretty unlikely he’s going to put together the type of spring that would show that he’s ready to skip AAA.   And, there’s the service time issue.    

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Is there any chance that Santander doesn’t make the team? I understand him needing just 44 more days of service time, but still wondering.

Only if he is horrible this spring.   His two run bomb today certainly helped his cause.  

Archived