TT: Looking at the 25-man roster battles

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

By the way, Joely is signed to a minor league contract and does not have to be DFA'd if he does not make the OD roster.  His attraction is that he fits the role of hard throwing lefty reliever that that Buck is looking to fill.

Did not realize that. In that case, I bet they keep Cortes. They love their Rule 5 guys and they always keep guys until forced to get rid of them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did not realize that. In that case, I bet they keep Cortes. They love their Rule 5 guys and they always keep guys until forced to get rid of them.

IMO Cortes has to perform better to stay.   The O's do return Rule 5 guys sometimes.   Mesa and Cortes are on the bubble.   Araujo has looked good so far.   

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO Cortes has to perform better to stay.   The O's do return Rule 5 guys sometimes.   Mesa and Cortes are on the bubble.   Araujo has looked good so far.   

Really? Who do we have that is so much more valuable? Cortes has a very strong minor league resume. Maybe he turns out to be the next Tyler Wilson, but I doubt they let him go. Maybe something is wrong with him and he goes on the DL for a nice long rehab.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Really? Who do we have that is so much more valuable? Cortes has a very strong minor league resume. Maybe he turns out to be the next Tyler Wilson, but I doubt they let him go. Maybe something is wrong with him and he goes on the DL for a nice long rehab.

There have always been questions whether Cortes’ stuff would play at the major league level.    So far, he hasn’t proven that it will.    He still has time to improve his performance, but I don’t think we’re going to keep him if he performs at the same level he has so far this spring.  

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Dan tends to hold onto all his Rule 5 guys no matter what the cost.  I think he's only let one go before this year?

I bet he will try to keep all 3 of them this year but I kind of hope not.

What would he do instead of keeping all three?

Sign Lynn, Cobb and Neil Walker... jeez why would he do that!

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Dan tends to hold onto all his Rule 5 guys no matter what the cost.  I think he's only let one go before this year?

Tavarez is the only one I can think of that Dan didn't eventually get back.  And there is still time for him.

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

There's 4, really, with Santander.

There's absolutely no way Mesa makes the team. He hasn't even pitched recently. I do think Santander, Cortes, and Araujo all make it though.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He's on the list as a possible pitcher today.

3.2 IP compared to 5.0 with Araujo, so he's more in line than I thought I guess. Still, he's been roughed up and as it stands with the 25-man roster, there's no room for him in the bullpen:

1. Brach (if healthy)

2. O'Day

3. Givens

4. Bleier

5. Castro

6. Araujo

7. Cortes/Wright (depending on who is the 5th starter)

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

3.2 IP compared to 5.0 with Araujo, so he's more in line than I thought I guess. Still, he's been roughed up and as it stands with the 25-man roster, there's no room for him in the bullpen:

1. Brach (if healthy)

2. O'Day

3. Givens

4. Bleier

5. Castro

6. Araujo

7. Cortes/Wright (depending on who is the 5th starter)

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just providing additional information.

I'm not even sure he's a lock to get into the game today.

Archived