TT: Looking at the 25-man roster battles

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Dan tends to hold onto all his Rule 5 guys no matter what the cost.  I think he's only let one go before this year?

I bet he will try to keep all 3 of them this year but I kind of hope not.

He’s let go of three — Logan Verret, Michael Salmanzar (but during the season after a DL stint), and Aneury Tavarez.    He eventually acquired both Verret and Salmanzar again, but neither stuck long term.   

Edit — should be Almanzar, not Salmanzar.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Dan tends to hold onto all his Rule 5 guys no matter what the cost.  I think he's only let one go before this year?

I bet he will try to keep all 3 of them this year but I kind of hope not.

No way Mesa makes it unless they DL him and try to see if they can get him on a long rehab at some point. Cortes is fighting for his big league life and will need to pitch better down the stretch. Araujo is the only one who looks like he has an excellent chance to stick. He's got two strike out pitches and if he can command them consistently he'll be a good addition, even without the blazing fastball.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s let go of three — Logan Verret, Michael Salmanzar (but during the season after a DL stint), and Aneury Tavarez.    He eventually acquired both Verret and Salmanzar again, but neither stuck long term.   

Thanks for the correction.  Almanzar was the one I was thinking of..........I remember us returning him and then getting him back a second time.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wish I knew what ju-ju Salmanzar had over Duquette? I never could quite figure out what the deal was with that guy. He never had one tool that made you think, wow, this guy could be something. Even Jason Garcia supposedly at one time threw in the high 90s (though he never showed that with the Orioles) so you could see why they gave him a chance, but Salmanzar?

Saying all that, Santander is the only one that has a chance to be an above average major leaguer out of all of his picks.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wish I knew what ju-ju Salmanzar had over Duquette? I never could quite figure out what the deal was with that guy. He never had one tool that made you think, wow, this guy could be something. Even Jason Garcia supposedly at one time threw in the high 90s (though he never showed that with the Orioles) so you could see why they gave him a chance, but Salmanzar?

Saying all that, Santander is the only one that has a chance to be an above average major leaguer out of all of his picks.

I remember finding a fan write up of Salmanzar that was just scathing.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I remember finding a fan write up of Salmanzar that was just scathing.

Well I guess everyone can have their opinion. I've liked what I've seen from his bat, especially from the left-side. He's a guy who keeps getting chances against high level competition and doesn't looked overwhelmed. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I guess everyone can have their opinion. I've liked what I've seen from his bat, especially from the left-side. He's a guy who keeps getting chances against high level competition and doesn't looked overwhelmed. 

You lost me Tony.  I was talking about Salmanzar not Santander.

Edit- Right, Almanzar.  Sorry Tony called him Salmanzar and I stupidly copy pasted.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There have always been questions whether Cortes’ stuff would play at the major league level.    So far, he hasn’t proven that it will.    He still has time to improve his performance, but I don’t think we’re going to keep him if he performs at the same level he has so far this spring.  

I agree, but who do we roster ahead of him? Mesa has been awful. Hart has proven to be somewhere in the awful to not very good range. Yacobonis seems OK but right handed not worth losing Cortes. Maybe Scott? 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I agree, but who do we roster ahead of him? Mesa has been awful. Hart has proven to be somewhere in the awful to not very good range. Yacobonis seems OK but right handed not worth losing Cortes. Maybe Scott? 

What is Scott's velocity been looking like?  Is he the 100MPH guy from last season or the mid 90's guy from the end of the AFL?

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You lost me Tony.  I was talking about Salmanzar not Santander.

Edit- Right, Almanzar.  Sorry Tony called him Salmanzar and I stupidly copy pasted.

My fault, I’m the one who called him Salmanzar.    Tony was just responding to my post.    

Right now, the catcher battle is the toughest one to judge. Sisco is hitting extremely well again after a tough 0-9 (or 13?) stretch, Wynns is hitting and still making the plays on defense, Susac has come around since his rough start and has the longest start yesterday, and Joseph is hitting the ball extremely well.

The pitching is tough too, but mainly because no one in competition has broke out. Except James Teague, but he isn't breaking camp with them.

Utility infielding also has been underwhelming. I really wonder what Wilkerson could have done if he hadn't been suspended...

In the outfield, there is a small battle. We know Mancini, Jones, and Santander are making it. Gentry is almost a lock too. Presley is doing well, despite losing a few balls in the sun. Mullins is slowly coming around, but he is showing off as a human highlight reel. Rickard is struggling but who knows what will happen with him. Rasmus has been good.

Archived