Camden Depot: Nick threatened to kick John Hart where it hurts.

weams

To Nick's productivity: Pretty amazing that he hit 39 doubles last year. His pathetic home run totals are really surprising even with the prior injury and the like. He's a slow guy that hits a lot of doubles, but so few hits clear the fence. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point is that, realistically, they didn't have a lot of options when it came to dealing with the issue.

I agree. Markakis would have to pin the GM to the wall by his throat before the Braves would want to go down the real discipline route. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point is that, realistically, they didn't have a lot of options when it came to dealing with the issue.

I think the team did the right thing and fired the GM, who had clearly crossed the line and was wrong in what he did.

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The guy is gone, I suspect you are right, he wasn't fire for this one incident, but I am sure it had to be a contributing factor.

I don't think this incident was a contributing factor. In November, 2017, Major League Baseball severely penalized the Atlanta Braves as a result of their investigation into the Braves international signings and determined the team had circumvented rules from 2015 through 2017. Fired GM John Coppolella has been placed on the permanently ineligible list. 12 minor leaguers, including star youngster Kevin Maitan, were declared free agents. In wake of this, President of Baseball Operations for the Atlanta Braves John Hart resigned.

Atlanta had huge problems that blotted out any issue of a GM yelling at someone.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

I don't think this incident was a contributing factor. In November, 2017, Major League Baseball severely penalized the Atlanta Braves as a result of their investigation into the Braves international signings and determined the team had circumvented rules from 2015 through 2017. Fired GM John Coppolella has been placed on the permanently ineligible list. 12 minor leaguers, including star youngster Kevin Maitan, were declared free agents. In wake of this, President of Baseball Operations for the Atlanta Braves John Hart resigned.

Atlanta had huge problems that blotted out any issue of a GM yelling at someone.

Thanks, your right, I forgot all about the Braves and their problems.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not sure that's a great thing.  As interesting as it might be to have a guy who eschews modern sensibilities and flares a bunch of singles and doubles, he's an average defensive player at an offense-first position with no speed and a 99 OPS+ over the last half a decade.  At this point he's the BJ Surhoff that Syd Thrift traded in the yard sale.

This is true.  I was just thinking about what his reasoning might be.  His personal goal is to get 200 hits this season -- we shall see if he reaches that and how it would impact his metrics.

I was never in favor of resigning Nick because I saw a guy with poor defense and a lack of power that was just not a good fit for the Orioles in RF. Then the Orioles replace him Travis Snider (blahh) and then with Mark Trumbo? 

Let's just say now that I'd take Markakis over Trumbo for this team everyday of the week and twice on Sunday if he would be willing to DH.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I was never in favor of resigning Nick because I saw a guy with poor defense and a lack of power that was just not a good fit for the Orioles in RF. Then the Orioles replace him Travis Snider (blahh) and then with Mark Trumbo? 

Let's just say now that I'd take Markakis over Trumbo for this team everyday of the week and twice on Sunday if he would be willing to DH.

It's been an endless parade of mediocre dudes in RF (Seth Smith, Rickard, in addition to what you mentioned) since he left. Reminds me of when Tejada left and we tried and failed for like 3 or 4 years to fill SS with anybody decent. 

It's tougher than it seems finding quality corner outfielders who can both hit and defend. I don't fault them for moving on, but I didn't think it would be this difficult to replace him either.

That said, Santander is looking pretty solid and I look forward to seeing what he can do out there in the future. 

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In the same boat as you, between the Travis Snider experiment, trading Zach Davies for Parra and the Trumbo contract, the Orioles would have been better off signing Markakis.  

Archived