Ramsus hasn't played since 3/2 (4 straight games)

interloper

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm not a fan of Cashner being hidden either.  There is plenty of tape on him, let him get in his reps.  

Meh.    He’s facing quality hitters in the sim games.   

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, fearthenoodle said:

The exact quote was 3 A-games per starter I believe.

Saw the quote.

Most of them will have three “A” games under their belt, so it will work out.” — Buck Showalter on his shielding strategy.

"Most of them".   Three our of five is most right?  I don't think we see Tillman in three "A" games.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Saw the quote.

"Most of them".   Three our of five is most right?  I don't think we see Tillman in three "A" games.

Tillman throws his 2nd simulated game this morning. In theory, that would put him on track to face Minnesota 3/13, the Mets on 3/18, and then there would be time for one more "A" start, if they wanted. Buck's comments after today's simulated game will be telling.

4 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

Tillman throws his 2nd simulated game this morning. In theory, that would put him on track to face Minnesota 3/13, the Mets on 3/18, and then there would be time for one more "A" start, if they wanted. Buck's comments after today's simulated game will be telling.

Buck has said repeatedly that 'certain guys' won't face Minnesota or division opponents in the spring.  Tillman is clearly one of those guys so you can pretty safely predict he won't be in a real game on 3/13.  Keep on kicking the can.

3 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

I doubt his comments will be that telling.    Buck tends to spin those things positively.    

I’ll be at the 3/18 game.    I’m not sure whether I’d rather see Tillman or Cortes (who is starting the Grapefruit League game today and will be on schedule for a 3/18 outing).     

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Buck has said repeatedly that 'certain guys' won't face Minnesota or division opponents in the spring.  Tillman is clearly one of those guys so you can pretty safely predict he won't be in a real game on 3/13.  Keep on kicking the can.

If Tillman is the 4th starter, he won’t pitch in the opening series vs. the Twins.    Therefore, no problem facing them on 3/13 if that’s what Buck wants to do.   

Just now, Frobby said:

If Tillman is the 4th starter, he won’t pitch in the opening series vs. the Twins.    Therefore, no problem facing them on 3/13 if that’s what Buck wants to do.   

Fair point.  Now that you mention it I think Buck did say something else about how you could tell who the top 3 guys will be based on who he pitches them against in ST.  So if Chris does debut against MIN then we know he's essentially locked into the 4 spot.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Fair point.  Now that you mention it I think Buck did say something else about how you could tell who the top 3 guys will be based on who he pitches them against in ST.  So if Chris does debut against MIN then we know he's essentially locked into the 4 spot.

Would be hard to justify slotting him 1-3.  Of course Buck doesn't generally have to justify himself.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would be hard to justify slotting him 1-3.  Of course Buck doesn't generally have to justify himself.

Just my opinion, but the whole slotting thing is overrated anyway. In theory, your no. 1-2 starters might get 1-2 more starts than the others, and your no. 5 might get skipped occasionally.    In practice, it all depends on who pitches well and stays healthy once the lights go on.    And after the first week or so, the no. 1 rarely matches up with the other teams no. 1, due to differences in scheduled off days, rainouts and whatnot.

In other words, regardless of where Tillman is slotted, if he pitches well he might lead the team in starts and innings, and if he doesn’t pitch well, he won’t.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just my opinion, but the whole slotting thing is overrated anyway. In theory, your no. 1-2 starters might get 1-2 more starts than the others, and your no. 5 might get skipped occasionally.    In practice, it all depends on who pitches well and stays healthy once the lights go on.    And after the first week or so, the no. 1 rarely matches up with the other teams no. 1, due to differences in scheduled off days, rainouts and whatnot.

In other words, regardless of where Tillman is slotted, if he pitches well he might lead the team in starts and innings, and if he doesn’t pitch well, he won’t.   

Of course it is, just like lineup order is.  But you would rather see your better players more often than their peers.

Archived