The 5th Starter Competition

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but Wright’s never had an ERA below 5.76 in the majors.     I’d be thrilled if he could throw to a 4.95 ERA as the fifth starter.

And that is no small improvement over what they ran out there last year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey with 3 IP and 1 ER vs the Red Sox regulars today. 20 strikes. 7 balls.

Leadoff homer from betts was the only ER he allowed. Then he walked him the next time. 

I wonder if Buck will give him one more start. 

Really good performance from Harvey. Betts does that to everyone.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey with 3 IP and 1 ER vs the Red Sox regulars today. 20 strikes. 7 balls.

Leadoff homer from betts was the only ER he allowed. Then he walked him the next time. 

I wonder if Buck will give him one more start. 

I’m sure it wasn’t 27 pitches in 3 innings.    GameDay doesn’t count correctly in spring training games.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure it wasn’t 27 pitches in 3 innings.    GameDay doesn’t count correctly in spring training games.  

21 pitches in the first inning. 9 pitches in a very strong 2nd inning. Don't remember the final tally. He did fine after he got his breaking ball working.

45 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

21 pitches in the first inning. 9 pitches in a very strong 2nd inning. Don't remember the final tally. He did fine after he got his breaking ball working.

Melewski says total was 29 strikes and 20 balls.    Also, Harvey will pitch a sim game next time and start against the Yankees on March 21.    They’re talking a LONG look at him.   

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I believe Mike Wright could be an acceptable #5 starter if both he and the O's were willing to accept that he is no more than a #5. Just let him pitch within his capabilities and don't freak out over the inconsistencies and bad outings. There's room in the AL East for guys who can make all their starts, throw 150 innings and pitch to a 4.95 ERA.

If he could have done that, he would have been the number 5 starter in 2015, 2016 and 2017.  He cannot.   I am more likely to have Penelope Cruz run away with me than Mike Wright is to have anywhere close to those numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Melewski says total was 29 strikes and 20 balls.    Also, Harvey will pitch a sim game next time and start against the Yankees on March 21.    They’re talking a LONG look at him.   

So, 19 pitches in the 3rd. One of his hits was an infield single to SS by Bradley. Manny probably would have gotten him at 1B. He was impressive in the way he got himself out of trouble and minimized damage. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

If he could have done that, he would have been the number 5 starter in 2015, 2016 and 2017.  He cannot.   I am more likely to have Penelope Cruz run away with me than Mike Wright is to have anywhere close to those numbers. 

It's easy to fail when you try to be more than you are capable of being. He needs to relax and accept being a number 5. Then let's see what he does.

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So you’re saying a guy can never improve?     I mean, I’m not expecting much from Wright either, but it’s cetainly not inconceivable that Wright has a breakthrough that makes him a decent fifth starter. 

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's easy to fail when you try to be more than you are capable of being. He needs to relax and accept being a number 5. Then let's see what he does.

He needs to accept being a AAAA pitcher on some other team would suit me much better. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So you’re saying a guy can never improve?     I mean, I’m not expecting much from Wright either, but it’s cetainly not inconceivable that Wright has a breakthrough that makes him a decent fifth starter. 

No I am saying that Mike Wright is not going to be a decent 5th starter for anybody in this division in 2018, imho...we went through this 2 springs ago when he looked “good enough” to some people in spring training that they cut Miggy Gonzalez....to save 4 million.  Which is the same primary reason that they will be pumping him up as the 5th starter this spring too, because he doesn’t cost very much.   He might be a reliever, maybe.  But dependable starter on an AL East team?  Well,  they will very well likely will run him out there but that doesn’t mean that he is going to meet those numbers, imho.  

Cortes starts tomorrow with Castro pitching in relief. That might be telling of where they stand right now. 

10 days before OD and nobody has won this thing. I have no clue how to handicap this. All I know is the first time we need a 5th SP is at HOU and that has been a house of horrors for us the last few seasons. 

On 3/11/2018 at 5:10 PM, tntoriole said:

No I am saying that Mike Wright is not going to be a decent 5th starter for anybody in this division in 2018, imho...we went through this 2 springs ago when he looked “good enough” to some people in spring training that they cut Miggy Gonzalez....to save 4 million.  Which is the same primary reason that they will be pumping him up as the 5th starter this spring too, because he doesn’t cost very much.   He might be a reliever, maybe.  But dependable starter on an AL East team?  Well,  they will very well likely will run him out there but that doesn’t mean that he is going to meet those numbers, imho.  

Brady, dude.

Archived