Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Everywhere I have worked, including the military had the same policy.  A boss has an issue with a worker they take the worker aside and work it out.  You don't do it in front of everyone.  You certainty don't pull some aside and go public with others.

I get what you're saying, but I would argue that there are different rules in entertainment.  Just as E! will talk about celebrities in a very public way, sports media gets to talk about athletes in sports entertainment in a very public way.

Whether it is effective, that's a different issue.  I'm not sure, let's see how Mountcastle responds, but I do think it's perfectly fair game.  These guys makes will potential makes 10s to 100s of millions of dollars to publicly entertain.  If he's not ok getting called out in public, he could always join the military or work for a small business owner, etc.

2 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

I get what you're saying, but I would argue that there are different rules in entertainment.  Just as E! will talk about celebrities in a very public way, sports media gets to talk about athletes in sports entertainment in a very public way.

Whether it is effective, that's a different issue.  I'm not sure, let's see how Mountcastle responds, but I do think it's perfectly fair game.  These guys makes will potential makes 10s to 100s of millions of dollars to publicly entertain.  If he's not ok getting called out in public, he could always join the military or work for a small business owner, etc.

E! isn't the celebrity's boss.  This would be more akin to the producer of a TV Sitcom going public with issues he is having with the child actor added in season six because the original kids on the show aren't cute anymore.

If say the guys at the Sun wrote a piece about how Hays and Mountcastle needed to improve their plate discipline that would be fine, and much more inline with what E! does.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

E! isn't the celebrity's boss.  This would be more akin to the producer of a TV Sitcom going public with issues he is having with the child actor added in season six because the original kids on the show aren't cute anymore.

If say the guys at the Sun wrote a piece about how Hays and Mountcastle needed to improve their plate discipline that would be fine, and much more inline with what E! does.

Fair point about the E! example.  Directors and producers will publicly call out actors who are problematic.  I would say the child actor thing isn't fair.  It would be like a 20 year old actor.  Buck didn't call out the bat boy for handing out the wrong bat or something.  There's a whole PR industry for this sort of thing in entertainment.

2 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Fair point about the E! example.  Directors and producers will publicly call out actors who are problematic.  I would say the child actor thing isn't fair.  It would be like a 20 year old actor.  Buck didn't call out the bat boy for handing out the wrong bat or something.  There's a whole PR industry for this sort of thing in entertainment.

But the kid on a TV show might be 20!  :P

I was trying to concentrate on the idea of a new addition to an established cast, not trying to make an issue of the age in question.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's a 21-year-old kid.  He is a blockhead to some degree.  I was.  You probably were. 

Most definitely, but my boss didn't tell that to the media.  He was nice enough to keep it to himself.  Then again, the media wasn't particularly interested in me.  :(  

44 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Most definitely, but my boss didn't tell that to the media.  He was nice enough to keep it to himself.  Then again, the media wasn't particularly interested in me.  :(  

I guarantee if I had to talk to the media several hours a day I'd say something impolite or ill-advised pretty often.  I don't have Cal Ripken's strange ability to speak to the press for decades without ever saying anything even slightly controversial.  The 27th time someone asked me about Ryan Mountcastle's plate discipline I'd either start babbling nonsense about alien hypnotism, or just leave and go be a chicken farmer.

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guarantee if I had to talk to the media several hours a day I'd say something impolite or ill-advised pretty often.  I don't have Cal Ripken's strange ability to speak to the press for decades without ever saying anything even slightly controversial.  The 27th time someone asked me about Ryan Mountcastle's plate discipline I'd either start babbling nonsense about alien hypnotism, or just leave and go be a chicken farmer.

Probably should pick a different example than Ripken..............with apologies to Brooks.

Maybe Belichick in New England.

" If I look down there and you’ve walked 17 times this year, you’re going to go back to that level."
-Buck

Interesting thing to say for a guy who doesn't have a contract beyond this season. Is Buck coming back, is it a forgone conclusion?

Sorry if someone else has touched on this, I missed it.

3 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

" If I look down there and you’ve walked 17 times this year, you’re going to go back to that level."
-Buck

Interesting thing to say for a guy who doesn't have a contract beyond this season. Is Buck coming back, is it a forgone conclusion?

I think he would give the same advice either way.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think he would give the same advice either way.

Yeah, but in the context of what he said, it sounded like Buck himself would be making the determination. Why would Buck say something like that if he knows he will have no influence on the situation? unless maybe he knows something we don't...

Sure, could just be a general statement.

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Yeah, but in the context of what he said, it sounded like Buck himself would be making the determination. Why would Buck say something like that if he knows he will have no influence on the situation? unless maybe he knows something we don't...

Sure, could just be a general statement.

What’s he going to say, “I’m only under contract for this season, but here’s what I think?”

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

-Buck

Certainly an unnecessary statement even in private.  Seems like Buck has turned into a Grumpy old man.  He could tell him in private he needs to work on his plate discipline.  But as he has a team full of guys who couldn't walk to save their life and yet make huge salaries I don't think it is a message that will be heard.  It is a more of a do as I say not as I do kind of message.  And we know how well those work.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Certainly an unnecessary statement even in private.  Seems like Buck has turned into a Grumpy old man.  He could tell him in private he needs to work on his plate discipline.  But as he has a team full of guys who couldn't walk to save their life and yet make huge salaries I don't think it is a message that will be heard.  It is a more of a do as I say not as I do kind of message.  And we know how well those work.  

Couldn’t disagree more.   All these guys walk more at the major league level than Mountcastle walked in the minors.    If you like Jones flailing at low away sliders 200 times a year, imagine how you’ll like watching Mountcastle do it 400 times a year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

He DID tell him in private. Mountcastle laughed about it.