Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

46 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You know this team moved to DC during the consecutive losing years. Many casual fans that made the trip to Camden Yards switched teams. Your not getting those casual fans back. Especially when the Nats have been just as good and better over those same years of Orioles success.

Add to that, Baltimore isn't a desirable place to visit, especially during the late night hours. Can you blame fans for not wanting to play Russian roulette just to see a ballgame?

Russian roulette? I’m sorry, but come freakin on. Go to the game, enjoy your life. A lot of great things happen in cities, even scary ones. There is an incredibly remote chance you get shot, so go out and enjoy it.

Not to pick on you specifically (quoting you was a bit of a target of opportunity), and I know I’ll get some backlash, but a lot of the recent posts in this thread are ridiculous. This isn’t Mosul.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Russian roulette? I’m sorry, but come freakin on. Go to the game, enjoy your life. A lot of great things happen in cities, even scary ones. There is an incredibly remote chance you get shot, so go out and enjoy it.

There is a far greater chance that you will end up with scurvy.  Or die in a single car accident. 

I guess this tread has derailed (lightrailed?) I have never thought twice about going into Bmore to watch a game with my wife, son, other younger children. I have never thought there was any kind of safety issue, crowds, police presence...if you can't handle a pan handler or two you wouldn't go to a game anywhere in the world.

32 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Not to pick on you specifically (quoting you was a bit of a target of opportunity), and I know I’ll get some backlash, but a lot of the recent posts in this thread are ridiculous. This isn’t Mosul.

It is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.   

1 hour ago, jsbearr said:

We are not a message board.

Anyway, see you all later. One thing I am reminded of when I participate in any message board is that I simply do not relate to the medium.

OH challenges people to back up their claims, opinions, etc. If you don’t like being challenged when you post claims or expect people to be mollified when you wave the vague “I’m in the know” wand, then you are probably going to be unhappy on OH in my opinion. No one is picking on you. Ready pretty much any thread and you will see constant challenges. Many if not most challenges force posters to post supporting data or analysis, etc. 

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

You are right. He needs to enjoy life. 

33 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.   

Baloney. Every city has some violence. Even small towns can too. If some are too scared to live life and enjoy it then you might as well live in a bubble. Okay I've said my peace now  back to the Orioles.

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Russian Roulette ??? Im sorry, but come freakin' on. Go to the game, and enjoy your life. A lot of great things happen in cities, even in the scary ones. There is an incredibly remote chance you get shot, so go out and enjoy it.

Not to pick on you specifically (quoting you was a bit of a target of opportunity), and I know Ill get some backlash, but a lot of the recent posts in this thread are ridiculous. This isnt Mosul.

o

I regularly go to Yankee Stadium in the South Bronx, which is one of the worst sections in all of New York City (not just the Bronx, but in all 5 boroughs of the city combined.)

I also have regularly gone to Oriole Park in Baltimore over the years since 2005, parking for free in Little italy, and making the 15-minute walk to and from the stadium to watch the games.

Aside from the fact that I personally have not had any problems in my travails in my voyages from Brewster to Maryland and from Brewster to the Bronx, there are millions of fans besides myself of all ages that go to these sports venues week after week, month after month, year after year. I would say that it is a chance you have to take if you are a sports fan.

All of that said, I do admit that I watch my ass much more closely on the way back to my car from Yankee Stadium (when it's dark out) than when I go to the stadium from my car before the games (when it's light out.)

In Baltimore I always wear my mask on the one-mile voyage from my car to (and from) the game, so perhaps that is an inadvertant deterrent to someone spoiling for trouble.

o

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I regularly go to Yankee Stadium in the South Bronx, which is one of the worst sections in all of New York City (not just the Bronx, but in all 5 boroughs of the city combined.)

I also have regularly gone to Oriole Park in Baltimore over the years since 2005, parking for free in Little italy, and making the 15-minute walk to and from the stadium to watch the games.

Aside from the fact that I personally have not had any problems in my travails in my voyages from Brewster to Maryland and from Brewster to the Bronx, there are millions of fans besides myself of all ages that go to these sports venues week after week, month after month, and year after year. I would say that it is a chance you have to take if you are a sports fan.

All of that said, I do admit that I watch my ass much more closely on the way back to my car from Yankee Stadium (when it's dark) than when I go to the stadium from my car before the games (when it's light out.)

In Baltimore I always wear my mask one the one-mile voyage from my car to (and from) the game, so perhaps that is a deterrent to someone spoiling for trouble.

o

I just wish I could have seen Yankee Stadium. The old one. Anyway back to Cobb. I do wish the O's had signed him. I kind think it's too late now. 

21 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Baloney. Every city has some violence. Even small towns can too. If some are too scared to live life and enjoy it then you might as well live in a bubble. Okay I've said my peace now  back to the Orioles.

Baltimore’s murder rate per 1000 people is 20 times higher than NYC. There are plenty more crime stats like that. Then the budget is so thin that you just don’t see enough cops patrolling. 

The places in Fells didn’t closed early on Halloween, which has become like New Year’s Eve.  Why?  Because the strong armed robberies were just out of control.  

I work in downtown Baltimore. I like the team, but Aubrey Huff was right. 

2 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I personally don't care if you pick on me. I've seen quite a few families that were told they have lost a loved one to that "remote" possibility.

The news doesn't even begin to show how bad crime in Baltimore is. I've spent many shifts at night in Baltimore. I'm glad you obviously haven't experienced that. 

And I'm talking from interactions from outsiders. They don't want to go to Baltimore city. Baltimore has a bad reputation...and it's warranted.

Archived