Cobb only thread

interloper

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

How is Buck sacrificing the entire year? He is not the GM now, he isn't responsible for any etensions if that's what you mean.

Seriously....nevermind.  Nothing is being sacrificed.  We will win it all this year or at least try, and Buck will take over next year.  

3 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

All that sounds great except...they have not won when it mattered. They play in one of the weakest divisions in baseball. I view them as a paper tiger. All the prospect rankings are meaningless unless they translate to winning at the big league level. From your write up they should have three rings by now. But, none of what you wrote matters, if they can't actually win a playoff series.

You can’t blame the GM for that IMO.    If they keep winning division titles, their ship will come in eventually.   

2 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

If the Orioles' last GM search is any indication, a lot of candidates don't find the idea of working for Angelos very appealing. Remember Tony La Cava, who was interested in the job but then withdrew his name from consideration after having a face-to-face meeting with Angelos? I think there were also some other assistant GM types who declined an interview, like De Jon Watson.

That doesn't mean nobody will be interested, of course. But the list of great, qualified candidates probably won't be as long as you expect. People all around baseball have seen how Orioles GMs have to operate with one hand tied behind their back (i.e., not allowed to sign international amateurs, not allowed to post for Japanese players, frequently being undermined by other people in the FO who have Angelos' ear, etc.). Some people might prefer to stay at their current jobs than to be a GM in such a restrictive situation.

I believe the restrictive situation is likely going to be changing sooner rather than later is my point. 

4 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

I’ve been a little out of the loop on the behind the scenes stuff for a year or so.  Is there pretty transparent knowledge that DD & Buck don’t want to work together?  I saw some things early last year that made that seem plausible, but I was never fully sure.  I’m just wondering.  If they can work together, I’d like to see them both stay.  If they can’t, Buck would be my choice and he could fill either role he preferred.  I’m interested in anything that goes beyond what I’ve read from Roch’s stuff.  Thanks

BTW, totally agree that $140M is probably about all the salary we can handle at the moment.  Maybe $150M.

Hello friend. There has been national drivel about this, mostly from Ken and his ilk. But It is no secret that they are very different dudes who would never be out after work together. 

4 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

I’ve been a little out of the loop on the behind the scenes stuff for a year or so.  Is there pretty transparent knowledge that DD & Buck don’t want to work together?  I saw some things early last year that made that seem plausible, but I was never fully sure.  I’m just wondering.  If they can work together, I’d like to see them both stay.  If they can’t, Buck would be my choice and he could fill either role he preferred.  I’m interested in anything that goes beyond what I’ve read from Roch’s stuff.  Thanks

BTW, totally agree that $140M is probably about all the salary we can handle at the moment.  Maybe $150M.

Great to see your still around. Nothing transparent that I've seen. Just people looking for scandals. They may disagree on how to get around PA.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

"It was originally rumored Buck Showalter may leave his managerial post to become the general manager." Just sayin'. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/909912-baltimore-orioles-top-5-candidates-to-be-their-new-gm

Look at the guys who turned us down.  Dipoto has run two franchises into the ground.  La Cava was interim general manager and then demoted to Assistant General Manager.  De Jon Watson was fired by Arizona and now is an assistant to the general manager for the Nationals.   DD is in 7th year as GM of the Orioles.   

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

You take a contract out?

I really harbor zero animosity...perhaps some people do.  No, I just think of course that time stands still for none of us and that change is inevitable.  Talking about how no one will “ever” consider a GM position here presupposes that Mr. Angelos will “always” own the team.  Only God knows our lives and part of me hopes he is still signing bad free agent deals when he is 112...lol. .   But I would hope for him, as for anyone, that Mr. Angelos would transition his life a bit with his sons stepping in and then having time to better enjoy some of his many successes in retirement. 

57 minutes ago, cimota said:

Look at the guys who turned us down.  Dipoto has run two franchises into the ground.  La Cava was interim general manager and then demoted to Assistant General Manager.  De Jon Watson was fired by Arizona and now is an assistant to the general manager for the Nationals.   DD is in 7th year as GM of the Orioles.   

I don't know what your point is, mine is that Buck was once considered for GM so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get promoted next year, assuming Dan doesn't stay on.

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I really harbor zero animosity...perhaps some people do.  No, I just think of course that time stands still for none of us and that change is inevitable.  Talking about how no one will “ever” consider a GM position here presupposes that Mr. Angelos will “always” own the team.  Only God knows our lives and part of me hopes he is still signing bad free agent deals when he is 112...lol. .   But I would hope for him, as for anyone, that Mr. Angelos would transition his life a bit with his sons stepping in and then having time to better enjoy some of his many successes in retirement. 

I doubt PA passes on before the end of this season, so he will have the final say on the next GM. That person will likely have at least a 3 year contract. So no young gun GM is likely before 2022. IMO.

Archived