Showalter: O's "Lying in the weeds" in AL East

SeaBird

"I saw [Leyland] after he stopped," Showalter said. "And I couldn't believe how great he looked. He told me it was because he just knew that it was time. I asked him how he knew. He said, 'When the joy of winning stopped being greater than the pain of losing.'"

In a quiet voice Parcells said, "You reach the point where winning becomes a relief."

Showalter nodded. "A respite from what the losing does to you."

Showalter is not there yet, even though he is past 60 now.

Buck still likes winning more.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

August of 1977 was a good time to be an Oriole fan.

8/16/77  ll (The Day Elvis Presley Died)

RED SOX lllllllllllllllllllll 70-44  lllllllllllll (- - -)

ORIOLES llllllllllllllllllll 68-49 llllllllllllll (3.5)

YANKEES lllllllllllllllllllll 67-50 llllllllllllll (4.5)

o

Orioles then went on a tear...finished 97-654 to finish tied for secodn with the Red Sox but were 2.5 games back of the Yankees who were at 100-62. 

The Tigers were 26 games back of first and the Indians, Brewers and Blue Jays were even farther. 

But...no wild card, so they were done. 

The Orioles 4 starters each threw over 200 inning and all had ERAs under 4 led by Jim Palmer who won 20 games, over 300 innings with 2.91 ERA..but Rudy May  was 18-14 with 3.61 ERA and Flanny was 15-10 with 3.64 and Roas Grimsley went 14-10 with 3.96 ERA.   Our 5 starter was Dennis Martinez at 14-7 with 4.10 ERA.....the bullpen basically was Tippy Martinez who led the pen with 41 appearances but only 9 saves due to complete games being the norm and Dick Drago with 36 appearance and 3.60 ERA...but nobody else in the bullpen appeared in more than 12 games and they were all terrible.  Bullpens were basically unimportant and much worse talent overall compared to today.

Brooks retired after appearing in only 24 games and hitting .149.  The outfield was strong with both Kenny Singleton hitting .328 and Al Bumbry hitting .317. 

Eddie Murray was a rookie  and Lee May were boppers though Eddie was mainly DH playing only 42 games at first and 3 games in the outfield but 111 at DH because Lee May played most of the games at 1b. 

Who knows, every other year the O's were supposed to be bad,  they were good.  This team is no better or worse than any of those other teams going into the season.  Its once the season started we were surprised by who would step up.  I have faith in Buck.  

I guarantee you that Buck thinks the O's are a contender. That's what makes him a really great baseball man, and he is. And its also why you play the games. Baseball is a funny sport that way. If he gets a few big contributions from a couple two or three upstarts, it can happen in this game. That's what makes baseball the best sport on earth. Let the season begin!

The Orioles could be competitive this year if Cashner, Gausman, and Bundy have good years and Manny and Schoop have career years. That’s a bit of an “if”, but not a crazy big if. Manny and Schoop look dialed in, Cashner and Gausman look good, etc. The bullpen is likely to be very good and the Orioles have some minor league depth that might help during the season. Obviously one more dependable starter would be very helpful. 

12 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Who knows, every other year the O's were supposed to be bad,  they were good.  This team is no better or worse than any of those other teams going into the season.  Its once the season started we were surprised by who would step up.  I have faith in Buck.  

When is the last time we were good.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:40 AM, theobird said:

I guarantee you that Buck thinks the O's are a contender. That's what makes him a really great baseball man, and he is. And its also why you play the games. Baseball is a funny sport that way. If he gets a few big contributions from a couple two or three upstarts, it can happen in this game. That's what makes baseball the best sport on earth. Let the season begin!

Gotta play the games. Even the crappiest, dumbest team still usually wins 60 games. 

It's not like football where crappy teams win ONE game. That'd be about 10 wins over a 162 game schedule. It's not like basketball where a crappy team wins 20 games, or about 40 wins over a 162 game schedule.

The worst team can beat the best team at any time.

Archived