Mike Wright, Jr. as a starter

BamaOsFan

I was down in Sarasota on his last start and hoping to see a new Mike Wright. Did not see that in the least.

He consistently fell behind batters and was hit hard giving up 8 hits in 4 innings, which included a balk with runners on 1st & 2nd and moved them into scoring position. The next batter gets a triple which basically did him & the Orioles in. He once again seemed to lose his composure a bit in a tight situation. We've all seen it before and was hoping for a different result this time around.

We need to come up with a better option IMO.

14 minutes ago, BamaOsFan said:

I was down in Sarasota on his last start and hoping to see a new Mike Wright. Did not see that in the least.

He consistently fell behind batters and was hit hard giving up 8 hits in 4 innings, which included a balk with runners on 1st & 2nd and moved them into scoring position. The next batter gets a triple which basically did him & the Orioles in. He once again seemed to lose his composure a bit in a tight situation. We've all seen it before and was hoping for a different result this time around.

That's been my main concern for a couple years now. The year of his stellar debut.

13 minutes ago, BamaOsFan said:

Image result for bare cob

When I was talking with Bruce (vatech1994) after Wright was out of the game last Saturday, he mentioned that Wright’s shoulder pulls way left on almost every pitch, and causes command issues that make him especially vulnerable to LH batters.     Like I said, I’m not a mechanics guy, but Bruce certainly would know.    All I know is, he looked the same as the previous three years to me.

To his credit (and I dislike Wright), he's had just the one bad start that the OP mentioned. He's been relatively efficient and emotionally under control until that start. I still don't like his diminished stuff or his supposed 2-seamer that I consider to be pretty mediocre. BUT.. credit where it's due, he's still in the mix because he's pitched decently this spring. 

I liked Tyler Wilson more than Mike Wright. Wright has never made me believe that he can string more than one or two good starts together in the majors. Considering he seems like a solid bet to make some starts for us this year, I hope he proves me wrong!

Archived